400 Wabasha Street North
Minnesota Housing is hiring! We’re a mission-based financial institution looking for a Community Development Director to lead and assist the agency in developing policies and strategies to address community development needs and issues across the state. In this role you’ll have the opportunity to develop and manage relationships with key community development partners and stakeholders, direct internal community development efforts, and direct $2.5 million in grant resources that enhance the ability of housing and community development organizations to meet Minnesota’s affordable housing needs.
Essential Job Duties
- Develop and maintain strong relationships between the Agency, communities and community development stakeholders to promote agency goals and programs, and identify community development needs.
- Represent the Agency on local and regional housing and community development initiatives and advise the agency, including Agency Senior Leadership, on the priorities, initiatives, and plans occurring across the state.
- Assist in developing and revising policies and strategies to ensure agency work and programs are responsive to community needs.
- Lead the Agency’s Housing and Community Dialogue events. These dialogues share information across organizations, communities and sectors to catalyze action on the local level and inform change on the state level.
- Direct the agency’s $2.5 million in grant resources that build capacity, provide technical assistance and enhance our partners’ abilities to meet community needs.
- Guide and lead the agency’s civic engagement and public outreach efforts.
- Advise Senior Leadership Team on issues including fair housing as well racial and social justice issues and their relationship to housing.
- Guide internal community development efforts with agency staff, coordinating work and sharing information.
Why Choose Minnesota Housing?
Our culture consists of passionate, mission-driven employees focused on delivering the best programs possible to help Minnesotans access safe, affordable housing. We invest in our employees’ futures by providing a variety of professional development opportunities. We’re committed to providing employees with work-life balance by offering many work schedule options, flexible schedules and limited overtime. That’s why our average employee tenure is 11 years.
At Minnesota Housing, we know that affordable housing is an essential part of Minnesota’s infrastructure. When you work here, you’re helping to build stronger communities. We also have a national reputation as one of the finest housing finance agencies in the country.
Our top notch benefits include extremely inexpensive health insurance for employees and dependents, generous vacation and sick leave plans, eleven holidays per year, and tuition assistance. We offer a defined benefit pension plan with a guaranteed, life-long benefit based on tenure plus pre-tax and ROTH options to supplement the pension. For more information, visit our website at www.mnhousing.gov.
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer
This information can be made available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling (651) 259.3637 or (651) 282.2699 (TTY).
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- 5 years of related experience in:
- Leading community development initiatives.
- A leadership role working with diverse stakeholders on complex projects and issues.
- Successfully executing community events, community organizing and mobilization.
- Managing programs/funding sources.
- Deep understanding of community development and housing concepts, terms, funding sources, partners, and strategies.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work cooperatively with others to identify opportunities, analyze issues, generate possible solutions and guide implementation.
- Prior experience in communicating difficult issues to a variety of audiences that have a range of understanding of housing issues, frame issues, make convincing arguments to influence others and build consensus.
- Proven ability to actively engage (both speaking and listening) with stakeholders that have varying interests and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and accomplish goals in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated dependability, organizational skills and time management skills.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive up to 10% of time.
- Experience working with underrepresented communities of color and immigrant communities.
- Master’s Degree in a related field.
- 5+ years of related experience in leading community development intiatives.
- Experience working with local community development groups and elected officials.
- Understanding of local government processes.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
External candidates should click here to apply or copy and paste this text into your browser: https://careers.mn.gov/psp/hcm92apc/MNCAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1001&JobOpeningId=26650&PostingSeq=1&languageCd=ENG