Quest Preparatory Academy is a K-8 public charter school in Las Vegas, Nevada. Quest is sponsored by the state of Nevada with a mission to “provide quality instruction and effective tools for learning for students in the Las Vegas Valley.”. In the 2018-19 school year, Quest is undertaking a rapid turnaround to improve outcomes for students and seeks talented educators who are driven to achieve results for students, have a demonstrated urgency to improve student outcomes, and have a “can-do” attitude with a passion and excitement for students.
We are searching for a Dean of Students to fill an immediate opening.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Dean position is a full-time, salaried, 12-month position. The Dean of Students is responsible for the development and ongoing management of school culture for grades K-8. Specifically, the Dean will:
- Support the principal in the day-to-day operations of the campus;
- Establish and maintain a school culture that is safe, happy, structured, and achievement-oriented for all students;
- Communicate the vision and build teams to support the mission, vision, and values under the principal.
Teaching and Learning
- Support teacher and staff development by modeling lessons, observation, and coaching and mentoring;
- Co-plan professional development and provide teachers with analysis of data related to behavior management, classroom culture, and family engagement;
- Support coordination of grade-level and school-level testing;
- Communicate with parents about the curriculum/instructional program as related to student achievement.
School, Student, and Family Culture
- Refine and reinforce clearly-defined school-wide procedures that enable a structured school day and after-school environment, including procedures for arrival and dismissal, recess and lunch, and hallway transitions;
- Maintain a strong, positive school culture by providing support to staff and students and by holding staff and students accountable to their responsibilities to foster that culture;
- Create, manage, and schedule special incentive programs that promote and maintain a positive school climate, high levels of attendance, and a culture of achievement;
- Collaborate with the Student Support Team to support students' social emotional learning effectively;
- Advise on the creation and implementation of individualized behavior plans for students with demonstrated needs;
- Counsel students individually and in small groups around individualized behavior goals to manage crisis intervention and develop social skills and character;
- Work closely with families, teachers, partners and community leaders to effectively communicate expectations and student achievements, support students' social emotional learning, and develop methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home environment.
- Maintain student discipline records, systems, and structures that support a safe learning environment for students and staff;
- Develop and implement systems to ensure an exemplary daily attendance rate;
- Collaborate with school leadership to ensure the physical environment of the school is conducive to a safe and supportive learning environment;
- Manage student outcomes for student culture, family events, and attendance at campus ensuring school goals and all compliance requirements are met;
- Manage all field trips, after-school programing, and summer school programs;
- Perform all other duties as assigned by administration.
Ideal candidates will have the following education, experience, and skills:
- Minimum of three to five years of experience working in education or social work in an urban community;
- At least two years of teaching experience required;
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in education, counseling, social work or a related field a plus;
- Must have performance- and results-driven approach to school leadership and student outcomes;
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking, analytic, and communications skills;
- Skilled at analyzing, interpreting and using data to collaborate, identify best practices and areas for improvement, and drive results;
- Ability to build teams and develop collegial rapport with peers, staff, students, and external stakeholders;
- Ability to set priorities, organize workload, handle multiple responsibilities, and meet deadlines;
- Unwavering belief that every student can learn and the drive to help every student reach his or her potential;
- Positive attitude, enthusiasm, self-confidence and flexibility.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here to apply to the Dean of Students position.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Quest is an equal opportunity employer. Quest does not knowingly discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or national origin.