The Chief of Staff:
- Manages and directs all activities and staff of the Senator’s NYC district and Albany offices, as well as coordinating the activities of the Senator’s office with Senate Majority leadership and central administrative staff.
- Works with the Senator and staff to develop and implement all legislative and policy objectives, strategies, and operating plans.
- Acts as the Senator’s chief advisor.
The position is full-time, year-round, NYC-based with occasional travel to Albany.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Coordinates and supervises the efforts of all employees including press, constituent service, scheduling, and legislative staff and interns, in accordance with Senate and office policy and applicable laws. Interviews, hires and trains employees. Plans, assigns and directs work; appraises performance; addresses complaints and resolves problems. Oversees the office budget and the administration of office goals, policies and procedures.
- Manages long-term legislative, policy, communications, and community relations plans of the Senator. Approves strategies and tactics on legislative, policy, and community issues.
- Acts as the Senator’s principal liaison and responds to office visits and telephone inquiries from constituents and various interest groups and government offices. Maintains a good working relationship with the Senator, staff, colleagues, and constituents. Conducts staff and external meetings and speaks at public events on behalf of the Senator.
- Works a flexible schedule including long hours, nights, and weekends. Works well under pressure and handles stress well. Accepts performance-based criticism and direction. Performs other duties as assigned by the Senator.
- Ability to perform all essential job functions above.
- A minimum of five years of related professional experience, including significant experience supervising multiple professional staff, preferably in public service and/or a legislative position. Knowledge of best practices, policies, and procedures for managing a professional office.
- Temperament to work cooperatively and courteously with others, communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner, and provide leadership in a diverse setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with office computer applications, preferably including social media platforms.
- Thorough knowledge of NYS and NYC politics and government, including city, state, and federal elected officials, agencies, and departments. Thorough knowledge of the role of elected legislators.
The position will remain open until filled and applications will be handled confidentially. Please email a cover letter describing your interest in the and how you meet the qualifications, with a current resume and professional writing sample in a single PDF document to email@example.com. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and will include excellent benefits. The Senate is an equal opportunity employer.