This position is for the Library Supervisor at the Grand Canyon Community Library. The Grand Canyon Community Library is a branch of the Coconino County Library District and is overseen by the Flagstaff-City – Coconino County Public Library. Housing is not provided; the Library has not been assigned housing by the National Park Service within Grand Canyon National Park.
Actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values. Under direct supervision of the Deputy Library Director employees of this class are expected to exercise considerable independent decision making and authority including day-to-day operations, management, and supervision of an assigned library area or separate library facility.
- Supervisory: This job has full responsibility for supervision at the program level (hires, directs, schedules, transfers, promotes, rewards, disciplines, and terminates other employees.)
- Budgetary: This job has partial responsibility for budgeting at the program level including staying within the assigned budget parameters.
- Strategic Planning: This job has partial responsibility for strategic planning at the program level including assessing community needs and setting long and short-term goals for the library area.
- Policies/Procedures: This job has partial responsibility for policies and procedures at the program level including developing, implementing, and interpreting policies and procedures related to the library area.
- Compliance: This job has partial responsibility at the program level for overseeing and ensuring facility and staff are in compliance.
- Council Communications: This job has partial responsibility for Council communication at the program level including making presentations regarding a library area.
- Reporting: This job has partial responsibility for reporting at the program level including preparing monthly reports for programming, grants, volunteer hours, and computer usage related to the library area.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Responsible for an area of the library including scheduling employees, handling incidents, scheduling tours and programs, and providing general guidance.
- Assists patrons and staff with questions, computer issues, and research.
- Handles emergencies and difficult situations.
- Maintains and distributes community information.
- Takes the lead role on more complex issues.
- Selects and deselects materials (assesses library’s needs and orders appropriate materials).
- Assesses needs and develops a programming plan.
- Performs outreach, carries out planning, develops programming, maintains statistics, manages programs, and assigns programming work.
- Ensures adequate computer access (analyzes and assesses needs for quantity and functioning of PCs).
- Oversees, coordinates, and develops printed materials and social media.
- Prepares book displays and public service announcements.
- Writes grants, maintains statistics, and post reports.
- Purchases some materials (including programming materials) and requests to purchase office supplies.
- Checks materials in and out, issues library cards, sells merchandise, accepts payments, and empties book drops and may courier items and empty book drops.
- Ensures safety and welfare of library users as well as building safety and maintenance, (East Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Tuba City, and Forest Lakes Community Library positions only).
- Supervises PALS Mobile (Youth Services position only).
- May handle library accounts and budgeting in relation to the library’s collection.
- Other duties as assigned.