Health Policy Advisor
NYC Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services
Job ID Number: 23670
The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services advances New York City’s efforts to coordinate system transformation across the City’s public healthcare system, expand access to social services for all, and ensure that agencies that oversee the City’s most vulnerable populations, including children in foster care and families living in homeless shelters, are run compassionately, equitably and effectively. With a portfolio that amounts to approximately $22 billion, the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services has an unprecedented opportunity to build a team focused on implementing bold efforts within and across twelve City agencies and Mayor’s Offices.
Working in the NYC Mayor’s Office at City Hall within the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services, the Health Policy Advisor will focus on the key issues facing the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene – one of the largest public health agencies in the world, serving 8 million New Yorkers from diverse ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds – and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, the largest medical examiner’s office in the country which serves public health and the criminal justice system through forensic science. Working with other members of the Deputy Mayor’s Health team, including the Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer for Health, Senior Health Policy Advisor and Senior Policy Advisor for Mental Health and Substance Misuse, the Health Policy Advisor will work on efforts including disease control, environmental health, health equity, family and child health, emergency preparedness and response, mental hygiene, and substance misuse. In addition, the Policy Advisor will identify and manage relevant cross-agency opportunities and working groups in order to enhance cross-team collaboration within the Office. As relevant, the Advisor will also engage with and coordinate projects involving human services agencies within the Deputy Mayor’s portfolio, as well as with staff and agencies from other Deputy Mayors’ portfolios and from the Mayor’s Office of Operations.
The Policy Advisor will:
• Work with the Senior Health Policy Advisor on diverse topics including disease control and prevention, coastal storm preparedness, environmental health, tobacco reform, and animal issues in order to advance public health policies and programs and improve health outcomes for New Yorkers
• Work with the Senior Advisor, Mental Health and Substance Misuse to help drive projects including the implementation of HealingNYC, the City’s comprehensive plan to disrupt the opioid epidemic; NYC Safe, a program that serves a small subset of New Yorkers who are struggling with mental illness and/or substance misuse; and other high-visibility projects and policies focused on mental and behavioral health
• Generate policy briefings and project-related documents including talking points and project work plans; perform qualitative and quantitative assessments of health policy proposals, including budget review and legislation; make recommendations to the Deputy Mayor, Chief of Staff and other senior staff within the Mayor’s Office
• Ensure robust reporting, tracking, risk identification and management, and appropriate synthesis of issues for the Deputy Mayor and other key staff as required.
• Liaise with appropriate agency leadership and with key staff at City Hall
• Actively resolve roadblocks and challenges as appropriate and escalate issues as needed.
• Ensure appropriate engagement with external contributors.
• Oversee the work of Policy Analyst(s), Fellow(s), and intern(s) within the Deputy Mayor’s office.
• A strong knowledge of New York City’s government agencies and/or public health entities, hospitals, and community-based organizations;
• Proven record of effectively managing complex, interdisciplinary projects involving multiple stakeholders;
• Proven record of managing competing priorities in a high pressure environment;
• Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic team culture;
• Ability to interface with executive-level management and deliver senior-level presentations;
• Ability to think creatively and clearly communicate complicated issues;
• Ability to complete work independently with broadly defined work objectives;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• A demonstrated commitment to health equity and public service;
• A master’s degree in public health, public administration, health administration, public policy or related fields, and at least two years of related professional experience; or a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, and at least five years of related experience.
Commensurate with experience
Please submit a resume, cover letter and three (3) references to https://a002-oom03.nyc.gov/IRM/EventRegistration/RegForm.aspx?eventGuid=4645fdd8-310d-4db6-884b-e64d4d17fefd&jobid=23670&pos=%20Health%20Policy%20Advisor
New York City Residency Is Required Within 90 Days of Appointment
The Office of the Mayor and the City of New York are equal employment opportunity employers.
Women, people of color, LGBT individuals, veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and the Office of the Mayor is committed to helping staff to develop and grow.
Minimum Education Required