Details: Starting salary range is commensurate with experience.
1485 Civic Court
The Strategic Information and Planning Department is responsible for collecting and analyzing information to improve First 5 Contra Costa’s work, evaluate its impact, and seek ways to expand upon it through advocacy and partnerships. The Research Analyst will provide critical support to the Strategic Information and Planning (SIP) manager as well as to First 5 Contra Costa program officers and First 5 leadership. The role requires experience with research, data systems, and social services, as well as a helpful disposition, a high degree of professionalism, and the willingness to learn and adjust to change.
Standard Functions and Responsibilities:
Key Areas of Responsibility:
· Research, evaluation, and analysis of data
· Internal consulting to staff on measurement, research, evaluation and select data projects
· Synthesis and sharing of information with internal and external stakeholders
Research, evaluation and analysis of data
· Conducts background research on issues relevant to early childhood development, policy, systems change, and place-based initiatives, under the supervision of the Manager.
· Compiles and synthesizes information to assist with defining programmatic goals, identifies emerging issues.
· Conducts general logistical work to support all assigned research and evaluation activities.
· Promotes a culture of strategic learning and knowledge sharing internally and externally
· Provides evaluation, research, measurement and data analysis findings and other information in writing and verbally to staff; presents learning to targeted internal and external stakeholders as appropriate.
· Summarizes research reports, evaluation findings, and other sources of information when required
· Supervises contractors and consultants, as needed
· Leads the coordination and compilation of required data elements from a variety of internal sources to submit an annual report to First 5 California
Internal consulting to staff on measurement, research, program evaluation and select data projects
· Provides internal consulting to staff on measurement and evaluation topics as appropriate
· Collaborates with staff to develop and refine tools for monitoring progress of strategies, initiatives, and projects. Makes recommendations supporting program and operational refinement and improvement.
· Leads efforts to proactively identify all measurement issues and provides recommendations about how First 5 Contra Costa should measure its impact
· Collaborates with program officers and the SIP Department to recommend measurement approaches for grantee and partner engagement
· Collaborates with the Database Coordinator on issues related to data collection and data fidelity
· Responds in a timely manner to data-related questions and technical assistance requests from staff and contractors
- Manages multiple projects and makes independent decisions
Synthesis and sharing of information with internal and external stakeholders
· Facilitates and participates in internal and external meetings and discussions that allow for evaluation findings and information about Contra Costa families to be shared across initiatives.
- Guides and supports the creation of briefs, blogs, case studies, and other products that communicate the impact of First 5 programs and the unmet need for children’s services and programs in Contra Costa County.
- Facilitates and supports staff in effective communication with internal and external audiences, including presentations, meeting materials, etc.
- Supports the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and values a variety of perspectives
- Represents the department when needed to agencies, Commissioners, community members and others
· Upholds First 5 policies and procedures
· Processes and handles confidential information and files with discretion
· Participates in other agency activities and projects as needed
· Works independently and also as part of a team in a fast-paced, challenging environment
· Performs duties such as filing, faxing, copying and mailing materials as needed
· Performs other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
A Master’s or other advanced degree from an accredited college or university in public policy, public administration, social work, or closely related field
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
· A minimum of three years of related experience conducting primary or secondary research and program evaluation
· Experience working on research and evaluation projects related to children and families issues. Experience designing surveys, conducting interviews, designing or implementing evaluations, building data systems or similar activities.
· Experience analyzing large data sets, such as the Current Population Survey, American Community Survey, California Health Interview Survey or similar
· Ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing, in varied settings and to different audiences.
· Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access)
· Proficiency using SPSS, SAS, STATA or other statistical software
· Ability to use widely supported internet browsers
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team with diverse populations and groups
· Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team
· Strong organization and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize work, communicate with supervisor about work challenges, meet critical deadlines, and have great attention to detail with excellent follow through
· Demonstrated ability to contribute toward a positive work environment
· Produces high quality work in a time-efficient manner; senses what will help/hinder accomplishing a goal
· Some evening and weekend hours required
· Valid California driver’s license
· Experience working with early education, human services providers and administrators, and/or non-profit staff
· Familiarity with data visualization and mapping software (such as Tableau) and/or GIS software (ArcView)
· Knowledge of Contra Costa County
· Ability to speak a second language, Spanish preferred
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and expectations required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
First 5 Contra Costa offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
· Ability to speak a second language, Spanish preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a brief letter of introduction that summarizes why you are ideally suited to this position.
Electronic submissions should include Research Analyst in the subject line and be sent to HR@firstfivecc.org. Or mail to First 5 Contra Costa, Human Resources, 1485 Civic Court, Suite 1200, Concord, CA 94520.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. The position will remain open until filled.
First 5 Contra Costa is an Equal Opportunity Employer.