Details: Commensurate with Experience
The mission of the Office of Advancement at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) is to raise private funds to support VIMS, manage the affairs of the VIMS Foundation, increase the visibility of VIMS and its leadership, and engage audiences, including the public and alumni, in the life of the Institute.
The Director of Development is a member of the senior Advancement team at the VIMS, contributing to overall departmental and campaign strategy. This position requires work as a major gift specialist – with responsibility for identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio of VIMS leadership and major gift-level donors and prospective donors – within a larger departmental context that demands creativity, engagement, and leadership in outreach, annual giving, events, communications, and other public relations efforts.
VIMS is in the midst of a $35,000,000 effort as part of W&M’s $1B For the Bold campaign. The Director is an important revenue generator for VIMS’ institutional priorities: positioning Virginia for #1 in sustainable shellfish aquaculture, marine innovation and entrepreneurship, funding the Dean & Director’s Scholars, moving toward sea-level rise resiliency, and creating opportunities to leverage the wealth of Chesapeake Bay data at VIMS.
- Substantive experience in a fundraising position in a non-profit or higher education.
- Demonstrated experience soliciting and securing major gifts.
- Significant experience in a fundraising position with the proven record of soliciting, securing, and maintaining a portfolio of major gift prospects.
- Previous experience with providing senior level support to a foundation board is desirable.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) seeks qualified applicants for the Director of Development, located in Richmond, VA. To learn more about this opportunity, the full position requirements and for consideration, please view our posting @ http://jobs.wm.edu/postings/33172.
As a state employer (Commonwealth of Virginia), we offer a generous and comprehensive benefit package with health / dental plans to choose from, Life insurance and LTD as well as the following:
- Vacation: 24 vacation days a year (accrue 2 days a month)
- Sick: 10 days a year, as of January of each year
- Sick plan (STD) of 120 calendar days or choose Commonwealth of VA disability plan (VSDP)
- Retirement: ORP or the Commonwealth of VA Hybrid retirement plan (VRS)
- Community Service leave: 16 hours each calendar year
- Tuition Waiver at W & M, (up to 16 credit hours during an academic year - fall, spring & summer)
- Many other perks and discounts. Please visit our website at: 12-month PPF / Professional Benefits
Minimum Education Required