Biology and Life Science Teacher for 8th and 9th grade at Coliseum College Prep Academy
- Job posted by Coliseum College Prep Academy
1390 66th Avenue
2018-19 Coliseum College Prep Academy Teacher Search
Biology and Life Science Teacher for 8th and 9th grades
***SMALL 6-12th GRADE SCHOOL IN EAST OAKLAND SEEKS TEACHERS ***
Coliseum College Prep Academy in Oakland Unified School District is recruiting highly qualified, caring, and dedicated teachers to develop our innovative secondary school program.
8th grade Physical Science and 9th grade Biology Teacher- The position is for two sections of each course with two prep periods. Each section is cotaught by a special education teacher to support in differentiating instruction for our students in special education. Additionally, you will be responsible for an advisory. This is a group of students you academically monitor, make sure they as reading daily and support in building close relationships with adults on campus including home visits. Expert coaching and planning support is available.
Our 7 year program allows us to prepare all of our graduates for entry to four year colleges- UCs and CSUs. The stability of our program across middle and high school allows us to build powerful relationships with students and families to support a positive school culture and high student achievement. CCPA is part of the next generation of the nationally recognized small schools movement of the Oakland Unified School District. At Coliseum Prep Academy all students will develop as learners, thinkers, communicators, and citizens. Our school program will meet each learner's unique needs, value their passions and interests, connect their learning to the real world, and require students to demonstrate what they know and are able to do.
CCPA is a full service community school coordinating services from across our
community to meet the needs of our students and families. Through partnerships with multiple community groups, we provide supports to help all students achieve high
standards. This includes an on-site health clinic, mental health services, a compulsory
after school program including enrichment programs, and a fully functioning Family
Resource Center (FRC). Through our FRC we coordinate a full range of supports for
families. We have support for basic needs such as a ESL classes with childcare, food
bank, clothes closet, legal and tax services. We also have support with parenting through
a variety of workshops and supportive groups. The FRC also builds parents' college
knowledge and ability to academically support their child to success in college. CCPA also supports students in the classroom with a strong school culture built to teach social emotional skills and value to students.
Concurrently, CCPA is building an innovative and challenging academic program to engage students in their learning and make them competitive college applicants and students. At the high school level, CCPA offers college and career pathways in Entrepreneurial Business, Social Justice, and Computer Science that culminate in our innovative Internship and Early College Enrollment Program. This work coupled with the increasing number
of Advanced Placement courses and categorical lift in our academic expectations has raised our students' academic readiness for college and drives them in their engagement in their education.
Our Special Education population is fully immersed in all of the above aspects of the school. We have worked to fully include all of our mild/moderate special education students across the board from core classes and electives, to pathways and college and career readiness. Our program uses a blend of co-teaching and co-planning between Special Education and General Education teachers, push-in support across disciplines, self-contained intensive support classes, and academic support through pullouts. The Special Education team works to serve all students in the school regardless of official caseload. We aim to serve students in the least restrictive environment using teachers in targeted ways that play to their strengths.
We are seeking teachers who. . .
• Demonstrate a record of success
• Believe ALL students can succeed
• Know content well and have strong instructional skills
• Have a strong familiarity with NGSS
• Support differentiation to meet individual student needs
• Respect and care for their students
• Reflect and always work to improve
• Think outside of the box
• Meet the diverse needs of learners
• Commit to school wide goals and practices
• Value the role of community and family in their teaching and in the school
• Participate in school life
• Value the diversity of our community
• Reflect the cultural and linguistic diversity of the community
• Hold a valid CA credential or an out of state credential with reciprocity in CA
We offer teachers. . .
• Consistent time to plan and collaborate
• Co-teaching opportunities
• A powerful vision that seeks to close the achievement gap by preparing all of our students for entry to college
• Decision making roles in all aspects of the school
• An opportunity to participate in the growth and development of an innovative small school
• A strong professional development program
• Supportive family partnerships
Comprehensive benefits including vision, dental and medical.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Join the team!!
- Email a resume and cover letter describing why you want to teach at Coliseum College Prep Academy to Amy Carozza: Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (510) 639-3201 Fax: (510) 639-3215
- Address: 1390 66th Ave, Oakland, California 94621