Rewarding careers in Public Service start here.
An exciting fast paced, and creative opportunity awaits the qualified candidate for this job. The Director of Speech Writing manages a staff of writers while working with the Executive team to prepare remarks and presentations for the Governor. This person should be a seasoned editor and writer, who can absorb detailed government policy and inject it with prose and emotion needed to capture an audience’s attention and propel statewide policies forward.
- Reports to the Communications Director.
- Supervises the speechwriting team in the Governor’s office. Oversees the development of speeches, power point presentations, video scripts, op-eds and other public remarks.
- Works closely with executive chamber senior staff and key policy advisers.
- Coordinates with policy experts in dozens of agencies throughout New York State to help ensure appropriate
- Mentoring writers, while managing work flow.
- Liaise with the Governor’s events team for scheduling and logistics.
- Works closely with the Press Office to create consistency in public messaging.
- Participate in the development of the annual State of the State address.
- Position is based in New York City.
- Travel is required as necessary.
New York State employees serve more than 19.85 million state residents through a wide variety of occupations. New York State offers comprehensive benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. As an employee of the State of New York, you join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State.
New York is energized by a new strength and be part of this bright future!
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 8 plus years’ relevant work experience
- Writer/editor in public and or private sector, including journalism needed.
- Background in speechwriting, particularly in government, is preferred
- Understanding of government and politics desirable.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Collegiality is necessary. Good sense of humor is a plus.
- Management experience, preferred.
- Understanding New York State Government, preferred.
- Commitment to Public Service, is a must.
New York State is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minimum Education Required