Deputy Director of MIS
NYC Mayor’s Office – MIS Department
Job Number ID: 21837
The Mayor’s Office MIS Department is responsible for all aspects of technology for the agency. This includes end user desktop support, VOIP, network infrastructure, messaging, email, file, web, and database servers, and server virtualization. MIS collaborates with other city agencies to implement wireless policy and procedures and develop secure tools/applications for use by multiple agencies. MIS also partners with other departments in the Mayor’s Office to develop tools and applications that streamline processes, measure performance/metrics and increase productivity.
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the Deputy Director will provide leadership, project management, technical assistance, and will assist with the management and oversight of the Helpdesk, Network, and Development teams. The role involves extensive program and operations management experience, building and maintaining direct client and partner relationships, management of budgets and supervisory skills. In addition, the Deputy Director will interface with the Mayor and other executive staff members regarding their IT needs.
• Provide leadership to a team of application developers, network engineers, helpdesk and project managers tasked with maintaining the overall effectiveness and efficiency of IT systems and operations;
• Work with the Chief Information Officer to ensure a high level of end user satisfaction by actively coordinating with senior leadership within the Mayor’s Office and Administrative Services to ensure IT solutions are aligned with broader agency and City goals;
• Provide support to the overall leadership and management of MIS, ensuring strategic program direction and compliance with organizational policies and procedures;
• Serve as process leader in the development and maintenance of processes and procedures for standard operating procedures and overall quality management;
• Work with staff to prepare timely and accurate programmatic reports to management as required;
• Serve as project director on various large complex projects when needed and work in collaboration with fiscal, human resources and other department to ensure successful management and implementation;
• Develop internal SLAs to ensure high operations performance to include continuity of operations eliminating unnecessary risks to business operations;
• Stay abreast of new products and services while benchmarking with the industry best practice organizations to ensure the organization maintains a leading edge in its information systems infrastructure;
• Coordinate with the Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications to ensure compliance with Citywide Information Security Policies, and advocate for specific governance protocols unique to the Mayor’s Office;
• Assist the CIO in developing a comprehensive strategy to mitigate and address any and all IT security risks aligned with Citywide Cybersecurity umbrella policies and runbooks;
• Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of computer systems experience including: data center management, technical understanding, analyzing information, developing budgets, staffing, problem solving, coordination, strategic management, quality management;
• At least 5 years’ experience directly managing a team of people
• Understanding of overall IT industry standards, best practices and trends;
• Strong analytical thinking, organizational skills, attention to detail and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to mentor, train, and develop staff
• Excellent problem solving skills, customer orientation and high degree of responsiveness in a work environment with rapidly changing project priorities;
• Ability to work on projects to completion with minimal supervision and multitask under tight deadlines;
• Ability to take initiative, be a decisive decision-maker and show confidence in decisions made;
• Ability to work well in team environment and be able to interact with all levels of management from the most senior level to the most junior.
• Understanding of the City’s technical environment and experience working closely with DoITT or public IT infrastructure
• Experience leading a major change or transformation effort.
• Direct experience developing and managing software and resource procurements.
• Demonstrated experience managing diverse staff and functional areas.
• Outstanding organizational communication, collaboration and team building skills and ability to function in a matrix environment with collaborative decision making.
• Experience in systems development lifecycle and strong understanding of information technology systems development, project management, and maintenance practices.
Salary Range: $110,000 - $140,000
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and three (3) references to https://a002-oom03.nyc.gov/IRM/EventRegistration/RegForm.aspx?eventGuid=4645fdd8-310d-4db6-884b-e64d4d17fefd&jobid=21837&pos=Deputy%20Director%20of%20MIS
New York City Residency Is Required Within 90 Days Of Appointment
The City Of New York And The Office Of The Mayor Are Equal Opportunity Employers
Minimum Education Required