Deputy Director, Product Manager
2 MetroTech Center
Position Summary: The New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) school system is the largest in the country, composed of approximately 1.1 million students and 75,000+ teachers in over 1,800 schools.
A central academic policy function is a key component of ensuring that schools maintain accurate school-based data in alignment with State and City guidance regarding academic requirements. The Office of Academic Policy and Systems (OAPS) is responsible for the development, implementation, and tracking of K-12 City and State academic policies, including New York City student promotion requirements and New York State graduation requirements. OAPS is part of the Office of Policy and Evaluation (OPE) within the Division of Teaching and Learning (DTL). OPE is the primary source of data analysis, research, and academic policy for the DOE.
The Deputy Director, Product Management leads the development of key system-wide data systems and strategic planning around student information systems. Drawing on strong analytic and problem-solving skills, the Deputy Director will manage the design and implementation of systems enhancements to minimize school workload, align data collection processes to policy, and meet the DOE’s reporting needs. Performs related work.
Reports to: Director, Academic Information Management Systems
Direct Reports: Technical project consultants, as required
Key Relationships: Works closely with the Division of Instructional and Information Technology (DIIT), the Office of Data Management, the Office of School Performance, the Office of Talent Research and Data, and other policy business owners throughout the DOE.
Policy and Analysis
- Gathers, aggregates, and analyzes systems requirements from program offices in order to develop policy solutions in DOE’s student data systems, including NYC Schools Account, STARS and ATS.
- Oversees processes for the management of product requirements throughout their lifecycle and develops processes for product release, such as working with stakeholders to determine the right methodology for approaching the project.
- Leads meetings with program offices, soliciting feedback and collecting input from diverse stakeholders regarding the policies and processes related to their content areas, and using this feedback,
- develops and enhances data systems and policies surrounding these systems that can be used more effectively by program offices, system developers and coders, and
- ensures compliance with State and City regulations pertaining to academic requirements, student data privacy, and the evaluation of schools, teachers and students.
- Ensures proper data management and policy analysis for requirements development.
- Manages the preparation of design documents that meet policy, system and security requirements, including the selection of alternative approaches.
- Manages the relationship between OAPS and DIIT, supervising the development, feedback, and testing of enhancements to DOE’s student data systems, including NYC Schools Account, STARS, and ATS.
- Provides guidance to DOE stakeholders on how solutions will impact the alignment of schools with policies, meet mandated State and City reporting needs, and affect school workflow.
- Develops and implements policies pertaining to the secure and appropriate use of student data in Department applications.
- Identifies the optimal student data system solution to address the project requirements.
- Presents design solutions to business owners and obtains signoff from leaders in OPE and across the DOE.
- Manages the process of documenting and communicating how student data is stored in DOE application databases so that it may be utilized for the purposes of reporting and evaluation.
- Drives projects, releases, and ongoing “care and feeding” of the DOE’s student data systems, including NYC Schools Account, STARS and ATS. Sets expectations with stakeholders, maintains change control, and ensures fulfillment through the product lifecycle.
Management and Communication
- Works with the team to develop and manage project plans for design, operations and implementation and ensures that project goals and objectives are met.
- Works with Central stakeholders to help identify and minimize risks through reporting and system designs.
- Identifies barriers or issues in the way of project objectives and convenes appropriate problem-solving sessions with project team and/or senior DOE leadership, as necessary.
- Escalates project roadblocks to OAPS leadership when necessary.
- Develops and executes project plans and communicates with key project stakeholders by:
- overseeing working groups;
- developing meeting agendas;
- facilitating meetings and associated follow up;
- making recommendations on key decision points;
- engaging DOE leadership in key decisions; and
- advising leadership of prioritized project or initiative progress.
- Experience or working knowledge of the public sector and/or interest in public education.
- Strong presentation skills, including presentation design, e.g., proficient in PowerPoint.
- Management experience, including project management in the public sector.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with education and non-education personnel, internal and external to the DOE.
- Ability to troubleshoot, problem-solve, and anticipate issues needing resolution.
- Ability to develop thoughtful and creative approaches for addressing a wide range of analytical questions and provide constructive feedback to others on their research and analytical work.
- Strong attention to detail, extremely well-organized, and ability to meet frequent and changing deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in and enjoy working in a team-oriented, high-pressure environment.
- Internal candidates preferred.
Extremely comprehensive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter through the following link: