The New York City Department of Housing Preservation & Development (HPD) is the nation’s largest municipal housing preservation and development agency. Its mission is to promote quality housing and diverse, thriving neighborhoods for New Yorkers through loan and development programs for new affordable housing, preservation of the affordability of the existing housing stock, enforcement of housing quality standards, and educational programs for tenants and building owners. HPD is tasked with fulfilling Mayor de Blasio’s Housing New York Plan which was recently expanded and accelerated through Housing New York 2.0 to complete the initial goal of 200,000 homes two years ahead of schedule by 2022, and achieve an additional 100,000 homes over the following four years, for a total of 300,000 homes by 2026.
HPD’s Division of Communications oversees public relations for the agency, responsible for creating a proactive strategy to promote agency initiatives, programs, and accomplishments to the media, our partners, and the public. The division manages all interactions with the press; oversees the agency’s website and social media channels; and designs digital and print publications, public service campaigns, and other materials for the agency.
The Communications Specialist helps to develop and execute the digital media and press strategy for the agency. The person in this role is responsible for creating compelling, timely content, including stories, videos, and graphics, for the website, social media, press, and other vehicles, and ensuring a clear, consistent message is delivered across all media channels.
• Coordinate with the communications team to develop and execute an integrated digital media and press strategy, identifying opportunities to amplify the agency’s message across platforms.
• Identify, create, edit, and design written, graphic, and multimedia content for the website, social media, press, and other communications vehicles.
• Help to manage the agency’s social media channels in coordination with the team, including drafting salient messages, securing compelling visuals, and responding in a timely manner to public inquiries.
• Work with other departments across the agency to plan and create fresh and timely content for press and digital media; ensure accuracy, relevance, and consistency of information; and optimize the agency’s reach.
• Identify salient subjects for stories, and plan, create and oversee video, podcast, and multimedia projects for the website, digital media, and press, including arranging for all aspects of interviews.
• Assist with drafting press releases, statements, talking points, and other messaging for use across communications channels.
• Assist with event production, including coordinating logistics with agency partners, taking photographs, live tweeting, and interfacing with members of the press as needed.
• Generate recurring reports tracking social media traffic and effectiveness of outreach and marketing campaigns.
• Ensure template art, logo usage, and overall design support agency goals and objectives, maximize synergy with other digital and print materials, and adhere to City styles, standards, and practices.
• Respond to inquiries received through social media, and spearhead the design and implementation of public information and outreach campaigns.
• A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and at least two to five years experience in press or digital media communications or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• This role requires strategic thinking, innovative ideas, problem-solving, design, writing, editing, client service, and interpersonal skills.
• Candidates should have strong organizational skills and the ability to perform complex tasks with limited supervision as well as demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects in a timely manner.
• Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within a cross-departmental team.
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), html, search engines, and content management systems (Team Site, Drupal, Convio, Kintera, etc.) and experience in photography and/or graphic design.
• Candidates should have demonstrated ability to be a team player.
• They will have excellent interviewing technique, creative storytelling abilities, and the ability to distill complex
ideas into an accessible format.
• Knowledge of urban planning, housing development, community engagement, or city government are preferred.
How to Apply:
Please go online and apply at www.nyc.gov/careers . Search for JOB ID# 366243
City Employees: Apply through the Employee Self Service portal (ESS) at www.nyc.gov/ess. Search for JOB ID# 366243
Salary range for this position is: $55,000-$65,000
NOTE: Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
NYC residency required
The Department of Housing Preservation & Development and the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required