450 Seventh Ave.
In NYC, Community Boards serve an advisory role in dealing with land use and zoning matters, the use of our streets and parks, the city budget, liquor licenses, municipal service delivery and many other local issues. The Board works closely with city agencies, elected officials, businesses, community groups and concerned individuals to ensure safety and quality of life for all who live, work and visit the district.
The Community Board staff, headed by the District Manager, assists the 50-member board in its duties, and acts as liaison between residents/businesses and city agencies. The Community Associate works closely with the District Manager and committee chairs to support and inform the Board’s functioning and administration.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing administrative support for committees
- Maintaining website and communications
- Preparing for meetings and occasionally attending meetings
- Serving as liaison to community residents and businesses, government agencies and elected officials
- Working toward resolution of complaints/issues
- Working with District Manager on special projects
- Creating monthly e-newsletter
Essential qualities include:
- A strong ability to articulate process
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong computer and web skills (e.g. Google Docs, Adobe forms, Access databases, etc.)
- Good phone manner
- Intellectual curiosity about a wide range of civic/political issues
- An ability to think creatively
- Sense of humor and patience
- Comfortable handling multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Works well in a collaborative environment
- BA/BS; excellent organizational and communication skills; strong and creative written and verbal ability; proficiency in MS Office required. Understanding of, and strong interest in, city government and its functions.
all City government benefits
Minimum Education Required