Support the Regional Director in all aspects of regional economic development activities and office management.
- Provide oversight on all aspects of the Regional Office’s administration of the WNY Regional Economic Development Council, including the coordination of Regional Council meetings and the implementation of the CFA program. Prepare Regional Council meeting agendas and materials, and direct communications, meeting logistics, and follow-up as needed.
- Directly originate business development and economic development projects for the region. Work with business prospects considering new locations or expansion in NYS. Structure incentive packages for the retention or attraction of business operations.
- Provide significant role in evaluating applications for ESD assistance, prepare incentive packages and project funding recommendations to the ESD Directors and guide projects through the public approval process.
- Manage relationships with current and former recipients of ESD assistance to facilitate problem-solving and ensure understanding of and compliance with program objectives and the obligations of ESD assistance.
- Manage Regional Office project originator staff to track leads/projects, research of new opportunities, and outreach to industry.
- Work with other ESD staff, NYS government representatives, regional and local agencies and community economic development specialists and organizations in coordinating the preparation and dissemination of information for economic development.
- Maintain familiarity with regional/industrial economic problems and other economic factors necessary in recommending solutions in accordance with ESD guidelines and the State’s business climate.
- After the Regional Director, acts as primary liaison with other State and local economic development entities, and private sector entities for retention, expansion and attraction projects.
- Build and maintain working relationships with such entities as business councils and associations, chambers of commerce and local development corporations
- Provide day-to-day assistance to Regional Office staff with project issues, questions, and other challenges as they arise.
- Represent ESD at announcement events, workshops, ceremonies, seminars, conferences and training programs, as appropriate
- Maintain database entries for all projects and assist the Regional Director in tracking and reporting of project progress and economic impact.
- Special projects as assigned by the Regional Director.
EDUCATION & REQUIREMENTS:
Education Level required: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, finance, urban planning or other related area. Master’s degree preferred.
Relevant experience required (must include no. of years and area(s) of experience): 5+ years’ experience in business development, public policy, real estate, urban planning, or other related area. Plus 3+ years’ management and oversight of staff & operations.
Knowledge required: Knowledge of New York State and issues relevant to economic development. Strong demonstrated written and oral communications and presentation skills. Ability to 'set up the problem', manage projects against tight timelines, and work well in teams. Enterprising and resourceful, organized and results oriented. Energetic, pro-active, collaborative and strategic.
Position expected to work onsite and/or remote consistent with NYS and ESD guidelines and needs.