OVERVIEW: These positions will be responsible for the detailed management of a range of ongoing and special projects throughout the Department, with a focus on improving the use of technology. Under the direction of the Fiscal, Administrative, and Technology Manager, the successful candidates must have the ability to work with cross functional teams, manage and communicate project status, and direct/guide project team members to ensure successful project outcomes. The positions will lead the detailed management and implementation of technology projects to support improvements in customer service, operational efficiency, and overall productivity. The successful candidates will analyze ongoing and new business processes, develop, and implement both strategic and tactical recommendations for improvements, and facilitate department-wide benchmarking and performance measurement efforts. The successful candidates will also assist in managing the Department’s surveillance technology ordinance projects, Geographic Information System (GIS) data, asset management systems, ongoing web strategies, and will coordinate with other key City departments on technology initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Core responsibilities of these positions include the following:
- Manage the planning, development, and implementation of both ongoing and special projects, including cross- and inter-departmental initiatives. Examples of potential projects include, but are not limited to, improving parking payment through the use of technology, enhancing customer communications channels, and expanding operations management technologies.
- Coordinate implementation of the Department’s components of City enterprise technology projects including Customer Relations Management, online permitting, work order management, customer communication, and other applications.
- Coordinate with the City’s Information Technology Department on new technology initiatives, ongoing web strategies, GIS, and general IT issues.
- Assist with the Department’s benchmarking and goals tracking programs.
- Facilitate scope definition of multiple software development projects in collaboration with senior management.
- Work with department teams to help define/document processes for streamlining the adoption and use of technology.
- Track and monitor the progress of project activities; report status, risks, issues; recommend adjustments to ensure the successful completion of projects.
- Understand and analyze the impacts of new technologies that are being used in transportation, including autonomous vehicles, advanced sensors, new traffic control devices, and communications technologies. Based on this analysis, prepare policy, operational, financial, and technological recommendations for how to anticipate, shape, and respond to these new technologies.
- Work as part of a team of support professionals to deliver excellent technical/non-technical support with outstanding customer service, satisfaction, and timeliness in resolving issues.
- Provide oversight to interns and/or technology vendors as needed.
- Perform other technology project management duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities could include the following, based on the selected candidate’s skills and experience:
- Create electronic presentation materials, including graphics, maps, and data charts.
- Assist in the management and oversight of the Department’s technology devices.
- Develop and execute general project management strategies for all major Departmental efforts, including standardizing the development and tracking of project schedules and budgets.
- Analyze data and create reports using MS Excel and Access, as well as other business intelligence tools.
- Support the Department’s participation in the City’s Socrata open data portal.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience performing the role of project management and/or business analyst
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related field, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
- The City of Cambridge’s workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, languages, backgrounds, and ideologies.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, computers and information technology applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases. Experience with project management tools, GIS, and/or online/mobile application development desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited direct supervision and accurately and completely perform assigned duties in a timely and professional manner.
- Self-motivated with superior organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making experience.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and analyze data and recommend changes based on this analysis.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City staff both within and outside the Department.
- Ability to effectively interface with customers and the general public.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively using verbal, visual, and written means.
- Experience working with a diverse range of people including citizens, staff, and City personnel.
- Financial management experience desirable.
- Communication and/or graphic design experience desirable.
- Knowledge of Cambridge desirable.
SALARY: $90,821-$102,114 + excellent benefits
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit both your resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 05/24/22. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.