Spanish Speaking Preferred
County of San Mateo
The County of San Mateo is currently seeking Benefits Analysts to perform a variety of tasks for applicants and recipients of public assistance, including providing exemplary customer service in a call center environment and in regional offices, interviewing clients, and determining eligibility for one or more types of public assistance programs in accordance with established procedures/guidelines; responding to client inquiries and reported changes; referring customers who are in need of service to the appropriate resource in the community; preparing and maintaining records/reports; utilizing public assistance benefits processing systems; and preparing mathematical calculations to determine eligibility for public assistance programs.
There are currently twelve extra-help positions. The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, regular and unclassified vacancies.
The ideal candidate will possess:
· Two years of clerical or public contact work experience which involved responsibility for interviewing and recordkeeping, or two years of college level coursework, or one year of experience performing assessment, placement, and/or public assistance eligibility work in a social services department within the last five years
· A commitment to public service or prior experience providing exceptional customer service in the public, private or non-profit sector
· Ability to be compassionate, have a positive attitude and be motivated to help others
· Experience serving economically disadvantaged persons is preferred
· Proven capacity to build collaborative relationships with co-workers and clients from diverse cultural/socio-economic backgrounds
· Ability to work in a highly structured, fast-paced and sometimes stressful environment
· Ability to apply interpret and apply complex laws, rules and regulations
· Ability to perform mathematical computations quickly and accurately and utilize public assistance benefit processing systems effectively
· Experience collecting and or verifying sensitive information
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, including excellent telephone skills to communicate courteously, efficiently and accurately over the phone
· Ability to speak Spanish as a second language
Some positions may require employees to be fluent in English and Spanish. The current vacancy requires the ability to speak, read, and write fluently in both English and Spanish. Language skills will be tested at the time candidates' interview with the hiring department. Some positions may require employees to work weekends, evenings and holidays.
NOTE: Extra-help assignments are temporary, paid on an hourly basis, and offer employment for 1040 hours, on an as-needed basis. Additionally, extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment.
Final Filing Date: October 29, 2018
To learn more about the position and to apply online, please visit our website at http://jobs.smcgov.org. Applications are only accepted online. EOE
Level of Language Proficiency
Some positions may require employees to be fluent in English and Spanish. The current vacancy requires the ability to speak, read, and write fluently in both English and Spanish. Language skills will be tested at the time candidates' interview with the hiring department.
Minimum Education Required