Assistant Commissioner for Community Outreach & Partnership Development
- Job posted by NYC Parks & Recreation
830 5th Avenue
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that builds and cares for public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, encompassing over 5,000 properties and 14% of the city’s land and coastline, include seawalls and waterfronts, pedestrian bridges, beaches and boardwalks, parks and playgrounds, historic houses, recreation centers and pools.
- Reporting to the Commissioner, lead the agency’s public engagement efforts and community programs.
- Manage seven departments and over 100 employees responsible for a broad range of agency functions: Government Relations, Marketing & Citywide Events, Partnerships for Parks, GreenThumb, Art & Antiquities and Partnership Development.
- Manage the agency’s relationships with outside partners, including elected officials, licensed non-profit partners, cultural institutions on parkland, corporations, foundations and advocacy organizations to further the agency’s strategic priorities.
- In close collaboration with the Mayor’s Office and Parks Borough leadership, coordinate the agency’s interactions with city, state and federal elected officials to advance citywide policy initiatives, secure public funding for park projects and be responsive to constituent issues.
- In close collaboration with Borough leadership, Parks Legal and other relevant Parks divisions, oversee the agency’s licensed non-profit partners, improving ease of doing business with the agency and ensuring licensees’ work is aligned with agency priorities.
- Lead the development and execution of the agency’s marketing and outreach campaigns and thought leadership efforts, including an ongoing Parks lecture series.
- Direct several agency programs, including Partnerships for Parks and GreenThumb, which engage community groups and individuals in caring for their parks and green spaces, and Art & Antiquities which activates NYC’s parks through public art and park history.
- Raise private funds through corporate sponsorship, “adopt” programs, foundation grants and other donations to advance agency programs and initiatives.
- Advise the Commissioner on public engagement strategies, expand and improve volunteer programs, with a focus on measuring impact through smart data collection and building sustainable community park groups through technical assistance and leadership development.
Residency in one of the five boroughs of New York City required within 90 days of hire.
- Excellent leadership, organizational and communication skills.
- Experience with cultivating public-private partnerships and implementing and coordinating initiatives.
- Ten years of experience managing projects and staff at a high level.
- Master’s degree.
- Proven experience leading complex service delivery operations in government settings.
- Strong facilitation and group process skills.
- Valid New York State driver license.
NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health coverage and a healthy work-life balance. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
Minimum Education Required