Details: $47,092.19 - $56,510.62 Annually
70 Court Plaza
The City of Asheville is dedicated to providing quality service for the residents and visitors of our beautiful city, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Asheville, NC is a thriving mountain city that has a culture enriched in diversity.
The City of Asheville values and respects a diverse community, workforce and ideas, and is committed to promoting an equitable, fair, and just employment environment. Our organization seeks to create and provide access and opportunities to employees, residents and visitors to fulfill their potential through inclusive engagement practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status.
We invite you to apply to join our team as a full-time Equity and Inclusion Program Manager position within the Office of Equity and Inclusion. This essential position will help support City departments to develop, design, implement and evaluate events, workshops and trainings focused on Equity and Inclusion; develop, implement, and track results of the Equity Action Plan, and provide technical assistance through an equity lens. They will also provide leadership, guidance and support to internal and external partners in the delivery of equity policy and programs.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated background in organizational development in a public agency and be experienced in promoting equity and inclusion through workshops, trainings and events. Their primary focus will include facilitating trainings on racial equity and inclusion, tracking the Equity Action Plan, and providing technical assistance to departments and teams within the City of Asheville. This individual will be an excellent communicator, act as an internal equity facilitator and change agent while being action-oriented, and driven in providing guidance and leadership to employees within the City of Asheville.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM; occasional evenings may be required.
Position now closes on Friday, July 27th at 5:00 PM (EST)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans, implements and facilitates events, workshops and training sessions to promote equity and inclusion within City government.
- Collaborates with internal departments to develop, implement, and track results of the Equity Action Plan.
- Works with the Equity and Inclusion Director to operationalize an equity lens into city wide policy, programs and budget decisions to advance and support equitable service delivery to the community.
- Provides technical assistance to both internal and external stakeholders on using racial equity tools in day-to-day decision making.
- Supports data analysis and research initiatives used to inform the Equity Action Plan's accountability and metrics reporting.
- Coordinates and supports Interdepartmental Equity Action Teams in delivering core competencies of the Equity Action Plan.
- Provides leadership, guidance and support in the delivery of equity policy and initiatives in conjunction with internal and external partners.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Sociology, Education, Ethnic Studies, Communication or related field from an accredited college or university AND five (5) years of demonstrated success in the administration of community, government, educational or social justice programs.
- Associate's degree in Sociology, Education, Ethnic Studies, Communication or related field from an accredited college or university AND seven (7) years of demonstrated success in the administration of community, government, educational or social justice programs.
- High School Diploma or equivalent AND ten (10) years of demonstrated success in the administration of community, government, educational or social justice programs.
- Candidates should have a demonstrated (1) background and experience in racial and equity training and tools; and (2) understanding of equity issues unique to Asheville and Western North Carolina.
- Experience in creating adult educational curriculum and having an LMS Technology background.
- Experience working in a public agency is highly preferred.
- PROSCI Certification is desirable.
- Critical Race Theory education and/or Implicit Bias Training exposure is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledgeable in providing leadership, guidance and support in the delivery of equity policy and initiatives in conjunction with internal and external partners.
- Knowledgeable in collecting, analyzing and presenting data measuring equity program efforts.
- Knowledgeable of organizational development and learning principles.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively provide a high level of customer service to the public and City Staff.
- Ability to conduct advanced research on organizational policies and procedures, best practices and innovative techniques.
- Ability to compile data and synthesize into a technical report.
- Ability to think creatively for work practices, programs and policies.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written form.
- Ability to research program documents and narrative materials, and develop reports from information gathered.
- Ability to analyze situations to pinpoint problems and assist with solving problems or identifying sources of obstacles.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships as required by work assignments.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural guidelines and to apply this understanding to tasks.
- Ability to bring resources together to resolve a problem or provide a solution.
- Ability to understand the organization and operation of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to effectively facilitate meetings and make presentations to various groups.
- Ability to research, analyzes, and summarizes data, and prepare, present, and maintain accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations.
- Ability to organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Ability to use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural and legal guidelines.
Comprehensive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this exciting position, please complete an application on our website before the closing date of Friday, July 27th at 5:00 PM. Thank you!