The Maryland Office of the Public Defender (OPD) seeks dedicated and client-centered litigators for its Spring Class to serve as Assistant Public Defenders in locations throughout the State of Maryland. An Assistant Public Defender combines their demonstrated commitment with their strong and zealous litigation skills to provide exceptional representation on behalf of their clients. Candidates with limited/moderate amount of criminal trial experience interested in joining OPD to do criminal trial work are invited to apply (please note timeline outlined below). Offers will be made for specific jurisdictions based on OPD’s needs and the candidate’s stated geographic limitations and preferences. OPD’s vision is for Justice, Fairness, and Dignity for All and we are committed to our core values of a culture of excellence, client-centered representation, tenacious advocacy, and remain united as a team in achieving our mission. Learn more about our mission and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
· Zealous representation of indigent defendants charged with misdemeanor criminal and traffic matters.
· Ability to competently and resourcefully prepare for and manage an active caseload; including, but not limited to the handling of bail review hearings, District Court trials, preliminary hearings, violation of probation hearings, and modification of sentence hearings.
· Effectively and compassionately communicate with clients, colleagues, and providers for optimal client outcome.
· Continuously seek professional development through trainings, continuing legal education and trial skills courses.
Core Competencies and Requirements:
· Demonstrated commitment to serving communities who have been pushed to the margins.
· Clear dedication to upending systemic racism, prejudice, and unfairness in the criminal justice system.
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with people with different backgrounds and lived experiences.
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, diverse, team-oriented environment.
· Exceptional organizational, legal, and administrative skills necessary to handle a high caseload.
· Some criminal trial experience or exposure is preferred.
· All offers will be contingent on membership in good standing with the bar in advance of the scheduled start date.
 Are you barred and available to start before March, 2022? Apply to the Spring Class and let us know your availability on the application form.
The Maryland Office of the Public Defender (OPD) seeks dedicated and client-centered litigators for its Spring Class to serve as Assistant Public Defenders in locations throughout the State of Maryland. An Assistant Public Defender…
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position please click here to fill out the application and please submit the following items in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org: (1) current resume, (2) cover letter, (3) a list of three references, and (4) a law school transcript (unofficial or official). In the subject line of the email please indicate “Assistant Public Defender: 2022.” In the body of your email indicate which class/classes you wish to be considered for. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Close Date: November 12, 2021
The Maryland Office of the Public Defender is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourage people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply. Assistant Public Defenders are full-time employees who serve at the pleasure of the Public Defender. Criminal Procedure Art., Section 16-203(d). Assistant Public Defenders cannot engage in the private practice of law while in this position.