Details: salary starting at specified amount
633 Third Avenue
About the NYS Life Science Initiative and the Bio-Accelerator Program
The NYS Bio-Accelerator Program is part of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s broad $620 million Life Science Initiative to spur the growth of a world-class life science (LS) ecosystem in NYS and expand the state’s ability to commercialize its substantial academic and early stage research to create jobs and encourage investment. The multi-faceted life science initiative includes $100 million in R&D refundable tax credits, $100 million to expand the Excelsior Jobs Program Tax Credit to the life sciences industry, and $320 million in other forms of investment, which includes the Bio-Accelerator Program now being implemented.
The Bio-Accelerator Program is a first-of-its-kind initiative that will enhance the ability of key regions in the state to maximize their ability to attract, grow and retain commercial life science businesses. ESD has selected two nationally acclaimed LS accelerator partners to run the Program for a five-year period in New York City and in three locations outside of New York City; this may be the first state-sponsored accelerator extending beyond a single region of a state. The Program will provide LS start-ups with customized programming, including entrepreneurial training, a mentor network, and access to venture capital funding. Each cohort of companies and prospective entrepreneurs that graduate from the program will participate in a culminating demo/pitch day, giving them an opportunity to showcase their value to potential investors.
BASIC FUNCTION: This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is eager to be involved in an initiative that can help enhance the future of the commercial life science industry in New York State. The Director will be responsible for overseeing the LS accelerator partners and working with them to ensure effective implementation, execution, and governance of the Bio-Accelerator Program. The Director also will work with the numerous organizations, such as medical schools and other research institutions, government entities, investors, non-profit associations, and biopharma business development professionals that may benefit from and be interested in the Bio-Accelerator Program.
Support Accelerator partners to implement and launch the Bio-Accelerator Program.
Specific duties include:
- Help promote the Bio-Accelerator Program to key stakeholders in the NYS LS ecosystem including but not limited to: government entities, non-profit associations, investors, serial entrepreneurs, academic institutions, technology transfer offices and corporate companies.
- Work with Bio-Accelerator Partners to identify and determine how best to implement and run the Bio-Accelerator Program, and institute measures to ensure it is running smoothly
- Facilitate the onboarding of NY regional sites into the Program
- Attend key Accelerator programming events
- Facilitate communications and ensure alignment between regional sites and Accelerator partners
Ensure success of Accelerator Program against ESD’s intended goals.
Specific duties include:
- Meet with Bio-Accelerator partners as needed to ensure they are on track to reach predetermined milestones
- Obtain and review periodic reports from Bio-Accelerator Partners and track program metrics and provide updates to internal ESD team
- Provide updates to internal ESD team on Accelerator Program status and metrics
- With input from key stakeholders, help develop and implement a governance structure for the Bio-Accelerator Program
- Help develop operations manual for the Bio-Accelerator Program
- Assume a variety of internal ESD responsibilities to ensure success of the Program, such as writing briefing memos, preparing complex spreadsheets, reviewing and improving processes, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, and managing data and budget information.
EDUCATION & REQUIREMENTS:
Education Level required:
Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree can be substituted for up to two (2) years’ relevant experience
Relevant experience required:
Large project management experience is paramount along with demonstrated goal achievement. Five years of related work experience is required, with direct knowledge of, and involvement with accelerators or start-up companies is highly preferred. Demonstration of increasing responsibility with each year of employment.
Experience in Biotech, Biomedical Research or Life Sciences a plus
Demonstrated ability to efficiently manage multiple projects/tasks simultaneously, take initiative, and work independently; Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; Familiarity with business and/or governmental agencies. Demonstrated people and communication skills with corresponding collaborative skills; Some familiarity with New York State’s economies and geography; Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Strong attention to detail and independent follow through skills; and Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and Word.
ENHANCE COMPREHENSIVE BENEFIT PACKAGE.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please list job title in subject line and reference source of recruitment.