Details: Starting salary range is commensurate with experience.
1485 Civic Court
The Communications Manager holds the overall responsibility for managing First 5 Contra Costa’s brand. S/he is responsible for developing and executing a communications and marketing strategy to support successful implementation of the organization’s programs, advocacy efforts and strategic plan. S/he serves as the principal communications and marketing strategist for the organization. In collaboration with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, Strategic Information and Planning Manager and other staff as necessary, s/he leads and implements communications strategies at all levels: print and social media, social marketing and public education campaigns, video development, events, sponsorships, collateral materials, etc. S/he is a strategic partner with agency leadership and all staff on effectively promoting First 5’s mission and strategies.
Standard Functions and Responsibilities
· Oversee the design and implementation of a comprehensive communications plan that supports First 5’s strategic plan and outlines external and internal communications goals, audiences, messages, effective tactics, and evaluation measures.
· Act as a key agency strategist with the Executive Director, management team and other staff as needed in developing strategic communication, forging agency partnerships and alliances, capitalizing on opportunities to further First 5’s mission and addressing emergent needs and crises.
· Collaborate with the Deputy Director and program officers in Community Engagement, Family Support, Early Childhood Education and Early intervention Initiatives to ensure quality and consistency of messaging and products intended for community use.
· Collaborate with Strategic Information and Planning Department staff in the development and implementation of communications and marketing strategies, plans, and events that promote First 5’s role as a leading County advocate for children and make the case for systems and policy changes that benefit children and families.
· Serve as a strategic partner on the agency management team to further the agency’s success and support a healthy and vibrant workplace for all staff.
· Implement community and program outreach strategies to improve public awareness of First 5 services and policy priorities.
· Oversee creation of compelling and high-quality, multi-lingual content for press, website, blogs, newsletter, collateral outreach materials, reports, and other written and video materials to advance First 5’s goals. Ensure the consistent quality of all creative content generated by staff for external use.
· Coordinate events such as press opportunities, legislative gatherings, Commission retreats and events, subject matter conferences, etc.
· Produce and distribute internal messages/talking points for staff and Commission members; update new staff and Commission orientation materials; create First 5-branded templates for staff for presentations, flyers, and other external communications; and track logo usage guidelines for staff and contractors.
· Oversee development of the First 5 Contra Costa website by creating, editing, publishing, and tracking content, and keeping information relevant, up-to-date, and engaging for target audiences.
· Create content and monitor analytics for social media channels including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube; research and expand social media presence on additional platforms.
· Identify and place earned media opportunities; produce news releases, talking points, and op-eds; and maintain current press list and media materials.
· Provide ongoing training to First 5 staff, contractors and partners to build capacity as agency spokespeople and child advocates; provide staff, contractors and partners with training on social media, video production, and other strategies to tell their story.
· Manage production schedules, timelines, contracts, budgets and quality for projects involving graphic designers, printers, photographers, videographers, or advertising agencies.
· With agency leadership, develop and manage an annual budget to support ongoing and new activities in line with the communications plan and agency needs.
· Maintain relationships with other First 5 communications staff in the Bay Area and beyond, as well as with the First 5 Association and First 5 California.
· Attend First 5 Commission meetings as well as external First 5-sponsored events as necessary
· Support the fund allocation process as requested, to include review and feedback on Request for Proposal (RFP) submissions related to feasibility of program components, implementation approach, and proposed outcomes.
· Provide clear and useful reports for the Commission, staff and other stakeholders as needed to implement the Commission’s programs and initiatives and comply with First 5 regulations and requirements.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
· Bachelor degree in communications, marketing, journalism or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
· At least seven years leading and managing comprehensive communications and marketing efforts in a government agency or advocacy, non-profit or philanthropic organization.
· Demonstrated experience in situations requiring crisis communications strategies and tactics.
· Familiarity and comfort intersecting and collaborating with media, elected and administrative government, private sector, non-profit and other stakeholders.
· Experience planning and implementing high quality and compelling events for media and others.
· Experience and comfort developing materials and processes requiring multiple languages; Spanish fluency, both oral and written, is highly preferred.
· Demonstrated comfort working within agency teams and collaborating with community stakeholders of all kinds.
· Reputation for thinking critically and strategically, to achieve solutions for problems at multiple levels.
· Demonstrated ability and comfort with navigating political sensitivities and building relationships to support First 5’s goals.
· Successful track record managing budgets, contracts and implementation plans within financial and time constraints.
· Self-directed, high-performing, and committed to First 5’s mission to support Contra Costa’s families with young children.
· Ability to model organizational values and participate as a key strategic partner in the organization’s leadership structure.
· Excellent project management skills including ability to manage several projects simultaneously while upholding quality standards and cost efficiencies.
· Critical and analytical thinker who can approach problem solving creatively and manage complex issues, while considering the needs of varied stakeholders.
· Demonstrated skill in implementing a variety of effective communication strategies, with deep knowledge of local and online media markets; print, broadcast, and online news organizations; and web and social media analytics and tactics to maintain and improve the organization’s presence at all levels.
· Excellent written and oral communications skills. Must be clear and concise, able to communicate complex information in a digestible format, tailored to appropriate audiences in multiple languages.
· Demonstrated expertise in video development for online presence, public education, and other purposes.
· Effective manager of people who can provide direction, guidance and feedback to strengthen knowledge and skills; shows a commitment to diversity and inclusion; and values perspectives and encourages contributions by all team members.
· Ability to work effectively with multiple external contractors to achieve high-quality results.
· Excellent computer skills in MS Office applications
· Valid CA driver’s license
· Substantial work in Contra Costa County or the Bay Area is preferred.
· Experience working in or with a funding agency, understanding of RFP and allocation processes, including contracting and grant monitoring
· Bi-lingual and Bi-literate in Spanish
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and expectations required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary range is commensurate with experience. First 5 Contra Costa offers a comprehensive benefits package.
First 5 Contra Costa offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, no more than three small samples of recent work you have produced, and a brief letter of introduction that summarizes why you are ideally suited to this position.
Electronic submissions should include Communications Manager in the subject line and be sent to: Listed email address in this post Or mail to First 5 Contra Costa, Human Resources, 1485 Civic Court, Suite 1200, Concord, CA 94520
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. The position will remain open until filled.
First 5 Contra Costa is an Equal Opportunity Employer