The NYC Parks Workforce Development unit partners with various city agencies to create employment programs for New Yorkers. Our signature program, the Parks Opportunity Program (POP), provides innovative career assistance to Parks' transitional employment trainees, who gain paid work experience cleaning and greening parks throughout NYC. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
- Under general direction, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, develop preparation materials and design lesson plans that incorporate work readiness and academic objectives.
- Provide advanced group and individualized High School Equivalency (HSE) preparation in the areas of math, reading, writing, social studies and science.
- Pre- and post-test trainees using designated evaluative tool(s).
- Advise, prepare and refer trainees to HSE testing examinations.
- Ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
- Track and monitor participant progress and maintain attendance.
- Support coaching services of trainees: work with trainees to articulate their work history and skills, maintain professionalism and engage in positive work habits.
- Maintain and enforce POP policies and procedures.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in “1” above.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Education.
- Experience working with diverse groups and/or in a group setting.
- Experience in HSE preparation, adult education, classroom teaching or other educational instruction.
- Proficiency in computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Spanish fluency is highly desirable.
- Ability to work under both direct and indirect supervision.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 340703
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.