Bronx Recruitment Associate
65 Court Street
About the Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality
The Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality (TRQ) is responsible for the recruitment of high-quality teachers to meet the staffing needs of NYC Department of Education (DOE) public schools and programs, as well as being responsible for initiatives to promote the equitable and quality distribution of teachers across all schools.
TRQ sets and strives to meet its ambitious annual goals by:
- Serving as the primary marketing agent and source of information to individuals seeking to become DOE public school teachers.
- Designing and managing recruitment initiatives, programs, and pathways for individuals to become DOE teachers, especially to address subject and geographic shortage areas.
- Selecting a high-quality pool of candidates to become teachers through rigorous, research-driven, screening processes.
- Providing strategic assistance to schools to help them make optimal, local hiring decisions.
About the Recruitment Team
The Recruitment Team within TRQ is charged to recruit high-quality, diverse teacher applicants to NYC public schools. We work to ensure that all aspiring DOE teachers are well informed for their future careers in NYC classrooms. Teacher candidates include participants enrolled in one of our alternative certification programs (NYC Teaching Fellows, NYC Teaching Collaborative, or Pathways to PE) as well as traditionally certified student teachers enrolled at our partner universities. No matter what pathway a teacher candidate takes to the classroom, our team’s mission is to ensure that teaching candidates are able to make connections with our 1,800 schools and principals and are able to find their best fit.
About the TeachBx Recruitment Associate Role
A competitive candidate for this role must meet the following criteria:
- A demonstrated history of professionalism in prior roles, including a genuine appreciation for regular feedback and the ability to implement feedback immediately.
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced setting.
- Ability to develop and adhere to project plans, set realistic timelines for task completion, and communicate progress or request assistance as needed.
- Demonstrated self-starter with the ability to thrive in independent and collaborative settings.
- Problem solving (and finding) mindset. Effectively articulates and recognizes important trends while offering effective solutions for the team.
- Adaptable. Open to doing various projects that may extend beyond day-to-day work responsibilities.
- Coachable. Successfully integrates TRQ staff feedback to successfully complete tasks/projects. Open to learning new skills to produce quality work products.
- Resourceful. Ability to make connections to existing context and resources in order to provide a high level of support across stakeholders.
- Ability to attend 2-3 Bronx in person events weekly
Preference will be given to those candidates who demonstrate:
- A genuine interest in teacher recruitment, selection and preparation, especially through alternative pathways.
- The ability to set and track progress towards goals, plan and oversee complex projects through implementation, manage competing priorities, and maintain focus on big picture goals without losing sight of the details.
- Unwavering belief that all students can achieve and that teacher quality is a critical factor in facilitating student achievement
Examples of responsibilities this role will oversee include but are not limited to:
Identify and communicate with diverse leaders in order to build successful NYC DOE Bronx recruitment campaigns
- Source’ (identify and track) diverse and competitive teacher candidates as potential NYC DOE teacher applicants by conducting research and using resources and/or professional networks to assist in candidate cultivation specifically to teach in the borough of the Bronx.
- Develop tailored individual communication based on audience (community partners, career changers, college students, professional candidates, etc.) to plan recruitment events for all individuals interested in teaching in the Bronx.
- Communicate via phone and email with a high volume of community partners, university partners, hiring managers and other school-based representatives to assist in finding high-quality candidates for teacher vacancies using TRQ systems and best practices.
- Support and collaborate with Recruitment Managers to devise and execute strategies to engage potential applicants and drive interest in applying to NYC DOE through a variety of pathways including planning events, partnering with student and community organizations, engaging career service offices, and creating marketing campaigns to reach large audiences.
Track, communicate, and utilize TRQ recruitment data to drive campaign strategy
- Manage data entry and maintain data accuracy.
- Collaborate with teammates to analyze data, identifying problems and opportunities, and developing aligned solutions to drive campaign effectiveness.
Organize, prioritize, track, and manage workflow and resources for self and others
- Balance multiple projects at once, using internal resources to perform prioritized campaign responsibilities and ensure all deadlines are met.
- Organize and provide logistical coordination for recruitment events, information sessions and career fairs.
- Provide administrative support including, but not limited to: conducting relevant research, managing teammates’ calendars, coordinating travel.
- Offering candidates personalized support over the phone or via email as needed with regards to their hiring process, job search, or other challenges that arise; escalating sensitive issues to program staff immediately.
- Supporting logistics of candidate session by securing space, serving as the point of contact between the program and the venue, ensuring that all materials are prepared for candidate sessions, and that day-of operations at trainings run smoothly and efficiently.
- Support procurement of supplies and materials for candidates and/ senior program staff as needed.
Compensation: $20-25 per hour based on education and experience;
Schedule: 35 hours/week from November 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019
*Some evening hours will be required to support offsite teacher recruitment events.
Office Location: Division of Human Resources, 65 Court Street, Brooklyn 11201
To apply, please email an updated resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for this role to email@example.com. Please write “Bronx Recruitment Associate” in the subject line.
- Bachelor's degree
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 6+ months' experience working in an office setting strongly preferred
- Some experience in a customer/client service role
- Strong relationship management skills
- Proven intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required