3333 14th Street, NW
ABOUT THE DC PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOL BOARD (DC PCSB)
The DC Public Charter School Board (DC PCSB) is setting a national model for creating quality public school options that is leading the transformation of public education in Washington, DC. As the city’s independent charter authorizer, DC PCSB approves new charter applications, closes poor-performing schools and conducts effective oversight of charter school performance through its School Quality Reports and other tools. More than 43,000 students attend DC charter schools, roughly 45% of the DC public school population. DC PCSB’s staff of currently oversees 66 public charter schools on 123 campuses across the city.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Sector Data Analyst serves as PCSB’s analyst on issues related to charter school supply and demand, expansion, facilities, and collaborative planning with other education agencies and non-profits in Washington, DC. The Sector Data Analyst will manage and execute a wide range of activities in support of strategic planning around the growth, location, and demand for DC public charter schools. Additionally, the Sector Data Analyst will support and manage special data projects as they arise.
- Complete recurring, pre-established analyses (quantitative and qualitative) and create new analyses to evaluate areas of demand related to school quality, access to programming and community need.
- Synthesize qualitative data from legal agreements, leases, studies, and interactions with staff and school leaders to develop a comprehensive understanding of each school’s growth plan and facility needs.
- Proactively identify, obtain, and manage external data sources to enhance DC PCSB understanding of population, enrollment and charter school demand trends, including common lottery results.
- Manage and analyze data from replicating schools, new and closing schools, and schools’ increasing or decreasing enrollment by neighborhood and grade span.
- Build relationships with, and serve as liaison to, DC Public Schools, Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education, My School DC, Office of Planning and other external stakeholders related to collaborative planning. Serve on or manage relevant task forces.
- Serve as project manager for high-priority, cross-functional, and cross-organizational projects. Create timelines, milestones and deliverables for these projects.
- Develop relevant policy briefs that inform issues that are critical to the success of important initiatives of DC PCSB and the sector.
- Create maps and other visuals to show supply and demand of student population, student travel patterns, neighborhoods lacking access to high performing schools, and supply and demand into the next 5- and 10- years by geographic area and grade.
- Manage and maintain public access to DC PCSB data sets and analyses and up-to-date overviews of the charter sector for external audiences via the organization website.
- Act as a thought partner to staff and leadership requesting analytical support; frame and conduct analysis to respond to key strategic needs.
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel and PowerPoint required;
- Experience with modeling/statistical analysis and SQL required;
- Demonstrable ability to develop creative approaches to tackle questions with no clear, finite solutions;
- Ability to synthesize data and information from multiple sources including large data sets, develop insights and recommendations and convey complex information through the use of supporting tables, graphs and other visual representations including geographic visualizations;
- Experience taking the lead to independently initiate, plan and drive multiple complex projects;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to simplify complex concepts in writing, visualizations, and verbal presentations tailored for diverse groups of stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability and desire to quickly dig in and absorb institutional knowledge currently captured in disparate sources in order to serve as subject matter expert and go-to thought partner;
- 3+ years data analysis experience preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA, MPA, or related degree preferred
Salary is competitive and commensurate with prior experience in a similar role with potential for an annual performance-based bonus. DC PCSB offers a comprehensive benefits plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required