1400 10th Street
CaliforniaVolunteers is charged with increasing the number and impact of Californians involved with service and volunteerism throughout the state. CaliforniaVolunteers administers the AmeriCorps Program for the state, coordinates disaster volunteering and donations management, and guides policy development to support the nonprofit and service fields. CaliforniaVolunteers is overseen by a 25-member commission.
The Program Officer (Officer) works under the supervision of the Director of AmeriCorps. The Officer is responsible for ensuring grant monitoring and compliance for a portfolio of AmeriCorps programs and assists with the implementation, coaching, and training of these programs throughout the state.
Grant Monitoring and Compliance (Approximately 50%)
- Manage and monitor a portfolio of AmeriCorps grantees to ensure compliance and accountability with all applicable state and federal laws, rules, regulations, and contract provisions; progress towards performance measures; and continuous improvement;
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of state and federal regulations and grant terms and conditions that govern AmeriCorps grants;
- Review and verify accuracy of grantee AmeriCorps program design and application prior to award;
- Implement grant monitoring activities according to CV AmeriCorps policies and procedures including program readiness review, contracting, check-in calls, member file review, site visit, progress report review, program change requests, program closeout, etc.;
- Track and analyze grantee performance data, and assist/coach assigned programs to success;
- Conduct grantee performance review and assessment, providing relevant information to programs, CV management, federal agencies, Commissioners, and other stakeholders, as needed;
- Prepare written and verbal reports of completed grant monitoring activities, findings, and results, including recommending appropriate resolution to address grant compliance issues;
- Ensure timely resolution and documentation of all grant compliance issues;
- Collaborate with fiscal staff on issues related to grant status and subgrantee monitoring.
Program Support and Training (Approximately 30%)
- Identify technical assistance and training needs for all assigned programs; provide or broker the needed assistance;
- Establish performance growth targets for programs assigned and coach and support program to ensure meaningful program impacts and member service experiences;
- Link programs to peer coaching/mentoring and the exchange of best practices and resources;
- Assist with the development of in-person and webinar training resources;
- Present and facilitate training at conferences, webinars, and meetings;
- Provide timely response to phone calls and letters of inquiry from assigned programs;
- Develop detailed letters, memos, and forms for support of and feedback on program progress and performance.
- Attend regional and national meetings as requested;
Grant Review (15%)
- Participate in AmeriCorps grant application review, including providing written recommendations to inform funding decision-making;
- Complete and incorporate grantee performance review and assessment into grant review;
- Prepare written feedback on the quality applications reviewed;
Other Duties as Assigned (Approximately 5%)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Computer literate
- Analytical skills
- Experience implementing direct service programs
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work an irregular often demanding schedule with occasional travel
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time, particularly those that are high-profile and time-sensitive
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Those who have interest should send a resume and cover letter to Kari MacDonald via email Kari.MacDonald@cv.ca.gov by 5pm, Friday, June 29. Due to an anticipated large volume of applications, only those invited to move forward in the process will receive a response. Thank you for your understanding and interest.