Office of the First Deputy Mayor
Senior Advisor for Criminal Justice & Public Safety
Job Id #21540
About the Office:
The Office of the First Deputy Mayor manages the day-to-day operation of City government and the provision of core services across the five boroughs, The First Deputy Mayor works to advance policy matters, coordinate operational efforts across the City’s public agencies, improve access to services for all New Yorkers, and ensure agencies are run compassionately and effectively.
About the Role:
The Senior Advisor’s portfolio will encompass projects, initiatives, and/or policy proposals at the direction of the First Deputy Mayor and Chief of Staff. These projects represent critical policy areas within the Office which include, but are not limited to enforcement of public safety initiatives, execution of broad criminal justice reforms, broad and high-level analysis of nationwide best practices, budgetary and capital proposals and high-level personnel vetting. The Senior Advisor will work with other senior-level staff and aides to perform the following functions:
• Research, Analysis and Writing – assist the First Deputy Mayor in performing qualitative and quantitative research in connection with policy proposals, capital projects and sector-based initiatives. Based on that analysis, provide recommendations – written and verbal – to relevant staff members;
• Project Management – in coordination with appropriate City agencies and team members, the Advisor assist in overseeing and monitoring projects and policy initiatives to ensure goals and timelines are met;
• Agency Liaison – serve as a liaison between specified criminal justice and public safety agencies and the Office of the First Deputy Mayor, to monitor projects and assist in handling day-to-day issues;
• Interagency Coordination – coordinate with agencies, boards, commissions, organizations, and institutions relevant to proposed research and policy initiatives, meet project goals and timelines, and review agency and interagency work product. This may include coordination of outreach to various City agencies;
• General Support – as needed, provide administrative support and coordination, including preparation of correspondence and briefing memoranda, background research and information for the First Deputy Mayor and/or the Mayor.
Skills and Qualifications:
• A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college;
• A law/graduate degree preferred;
• 7+ years of full-time professional experience in the criminal justice/public safety field;
• Some experience working at the City, State or Federal level preferred;
• Highly developed project management experience and skills;
• Ability to actively resolve problems in a diplomatic fashion;
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and three (3) references to https://a002-oom03.nyc.gov/IRM/EventRegistration/RegForm.aspx?eventGuid=4645fdd8-310d-4db6-884b-e64d4d17fefd&jobid=21540&pos=Senior%20Advisor%20for%20Criminal%20Justice%20and%20Public%20Safety
New York City Residency Is Required Within 90 Days Of Appointment
The City Of New York and the Office of The Mayor Are Equal Opportunity Employers
Minimum Education Required