700 5th Avenue
Imagine a city where every student, regardless of language and cultural differences, receives a quality education and feels safe and included.
The Seattle Mayor and City Council are striving to bring us to the top of the list of cities known for positive change, innovation, and sound financial management. The Department of Education and Early Learning (DEEL) supports this effort to improve the lives of Seattle families by helping children enter kindergarten prepared to succeed, providing support for student academic achievement, and making sure students graduate from high school prepared for college or career. The department strives to embed the City's Race and Social Justice Initiative into its education objectives and seeks staff that value the importance of working together as a government and community to eliminate racial disparities and achieve racial equity.
To support the mission of this department, we are looking for a Contracts Manager to provide department-wide vision, leadership, and accountability for the annual disbursement of over $48M funding with approximately 200 agreements across multiple funding sources through a newly-designed contracts program that supports DEEL's statutory and programmatic goals.
In this role, you will provide direction, oversight, advice, guidance, and counsel to directors, manager, and line staff on issues related to contract development and invoicing, issuing and evaluating Requests for Proposals, Requests for Investments, and Requests for Qualifications (RFP/RFI/RFQ), program budget management, and developing new departmental accountability tools, as contracting services are integrated into all of the department's program delivery systems, including:
- Quality Practice and Professional Development
- Early Learning Operations
- Early Learning Policy team
- K-12 Operations
- Post-Secondary Operations
- Data Management
- Finance and Administration
Reporting to the Finance & Operations Director, you will supervise a program team of six professional staff and foster a highly effective team environment where accountability, clear, effective communication, and a high level of customer service are demonstrated on a daily basis. You will be responsible for the design and oversight of new systems implementation to collect departmental information, report information to the Executive and other City departments, and streamline, clarify, and communicate contracting-related policies/procedures to department staff, contractors, and the public.
In addition to the ability to perform the work described above, you will need to possess the below required qualifications (or a combination of education, training or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class):
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Business or Public Administration, a Human Services field, or another related field
- Two years professional experience in contract administration, budget management, planning, human services administration, or a related field
- Associates of Arts Degree in Business or Public Administration, a Human Services field, or another related field
- Three years professional experience in contract administration, budget management, planning, human services administration, or a related field
- Four years professional experience in contract administration, budget management, planning, human services administration, or a related field
You will feel prepared to take on this role if you have:
The ability to:
- Understand and oversee contract management systems and policies
- Manage complex and stressful situations with calmness and tact
- Contribute positively to a diverse, equitable work environment
- Develop collaborative, productive, and respectful relationships with internal and external partners
The following skills:
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead and influence others
- Good judgement and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Time management skills
- Knowledge of the City's contracting processes
- Contract management within a complex non-profit or government
- Interpreting complex financial and other data derived from contracts into clear, distilled reports and summaries
- Using Windows, Microsoft Office, Access databases, and other online tools effectively
- Racial and Social Justice work
This position is classified as a Manager 2, Human Services. DEEL supports the City of Seattle's Race and Social Justice Initiative to end institutionalized racism by eliminating barriers to access, providing the staff and public with opportunities for growth, and developing equitable access to the programs and services we offer. If you share those values and meet the qualifications, we invite you to apply for this position. Please visit http://www.seattle.gov/education to learn more about the Department of Education & Early Learning.
To be considered for this position, you must submit your application, attaching both a cover letter and resume at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/ no later than 4:00pm Pacific Time on Tuesday, October 16, 2018. This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The Department of Education & Early Learning values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, medical condition, or pregnancy. The Department of Education & Early Learning encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experiences. If you have questions, please contact Lindsey King at Lindsey.King@seattle.gov.
Minimum Education Required