Education - Special Populations Consultant
Details: $20 -$25 per hour, dependent on relevant experience. 35 Hours per week.
65 Court Street
About the NYC Department of Education & Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality
The New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) is the largest public school system in the
United States, serving over 1.1 million students in more than 1,800 schools. Our schools range in focus from traditional pre-K-12 education, to specialized instruction in various subject areas, in addition to services for our students who have special needs.
The Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality (TRQ) is responsible for the recruitment of qualified teachers to meet the diverse staffing needs of the NYC DOE public schools and NYC Early Education Centers. Research has repeatedly shown that teacher quality is the single most important variable in raising student achievement.
TRQ's mission is to:
- Serve as the primary marketing agent and source of information to individuals seeking to become NYC public school teachers.
- Recruit and cultivate a diverse pool of qualified teachers to teach in a NYC DOE public school.
- Provide deeper levels of teacher staffing and selection support to our highest-need schools to help them make optimal hiring decisions.
The NYC Department of Education's Office of Teacher Recruitment and Quality (TRQ) is seeking a
Special Populations Consultant to provide various supports related to the following certification areas: Special Education, Bilingual Special Education, Bilingual Education, English as a New Language, and Languages other than English. The various supports include but not limited to the following: staffing support, candidate cultivation support, program support Subsidized Secondary Students with Disabilities Certification Program and administrative supports. The Special Populations Consultant will have the unique opportunity to staff NYC DOE public schools with qualified teachers to serve the city's 1.1 plus million students.
The Special Populations Consultant will …
- Manage day to day teacher staffing requests, candidate cultivation, program management support and administrative supports needed in the following areas: special education and bilingual education programs.
- Conduct ongoing candidate searches on behalf of schools with teacher vacancies and provide proactive teacher referrals to targeted schools for staffing consideration.
- Communicate via phone and email with a high volume of principals, hiring managers and other school based hiring representatives to assist in finding qualified candidates for teacher vacancies using TRQ systems and best practices.
- Maintain data entry and tracking of recruitment services for special education and bilingual staffing and program supports, and other identified TRQ teacher staffing supports as needed.
- Support TRQ staff with required operations for teacher recruitment events.
- Provide exceptional administrative support and customer service to HR staff, recruiters, hiring managers, and teacher candidates.
- Provide case management support between various NYC DOE Division of Human Resources offices in partnership with TRQ (e.g. certification, etc.)
- Other administrative supports as needed.
- Minimum 2 years of college; Bachelor’s degree is a plus but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 6+ months' experience working in an educational setting preferred.
- Preferred experience in a customer/client service role.
- Strong relationship management skills.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Access.
The ideal candidate for the Special Populations Consultant position should be able to successfully demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Problem solving mindset. Effectively articulates and recognizes important trends while offering effective solutions for the team.
- Organized and detail-oriented. Highly organized with the ability to independently manage tasks/projects while prioritizing team's goals.
- Adaptable. Open to doing various projects that may extend beyond day-to-day work responsibilities.
- Coachable. Successfully integrates TRQ staff feedback to successfully complete tasks/projects. Open to learning new skills to produce quality work products.
Please note that this is a consultant position through School Professionals, and is paid hourly and does not include health benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Please submit brief cover letter and resume to John Cutuli, JCutuli@schools.nyc.gov.
- Subject Line: Special Programs Consultant
- Please include your availability for September 2018 up to January 31st, 2019 in your cover letter.
- If selected for the position you must be fingerprinted by the New York City Department of Education at your own expense.