Title: Manager, Digital & Social Media
Position Type: Full time
Requisition No: 22005
Supervisor: Director, Digital Strategy
Last Updated: August 2021
Job Purpose: Develop and execute digital and social media content and campaigns
Location: Remote, various locations throughout California
The Marketing, Communications, and External Affairs team at Calbright College, California’s first fully online community college, seeks an energetic and experienced digital and social media manager to expand the College’s social media enterprise, engage and grow our followers, build online partnerships and campaigns with mission-aligned organizations/government agencies, support student success and enrollment, and help tell the story of a new and first-of-its-kind California Community College.
Calbright’s social media accounts are in a nascent phase, so this is an opportunity to help shape our overall approach, voice, cadence, and content mix. In this position, you'll make and seed shareable content for our social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, at the moment) as well as for other digital mediums like the College’s blog, internal communications channels, and external-facing marketing campaigns. You’ll also provide insights on audience engagement and supplement your organic content work with paid media strategies and campaigns.
This is an opportunity to work with this position’s supervisor, the Director, Digital Strategy, as well colleagues across the division and college, to develop and execute a cohesive organic and paid social strategy. You'll work to foster active relationships with key influencers and varied audiences, identify how Calbright can participate in discussions on emerging issues and trends, and closely track which tactics work best across our various mediums.
The successful candidate will have an expert command of best practices and trends in social media marketing and a strong track record of leading creative campaigns to build active social communities. You will be a deft hand at creating shareable content, meticulously executed, and a critical thinker who is eager to experiment and measure the return on each effort. Your ideas on leveraging the latest shifts in the social media landscape to enrich our brand will support the broader Marketing and Communications team’s efforts to raise awareness about the unique role Calbright plays in the State of California.
Calbright College has plans for office locations throughout California but is also a remote organization. The individual in this role may work remotely in California and will also have the option to go to a regional office if desired/when necessary. The College offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
The duties below are representative of the role and are not intended to cover all of the duties performed within the scope of work:
- With exceptional discretion and acumen, act as the on-brand voice of Calbright College through daily management, execution, and moderation of the system's core social media channels (may include occasional nights and weekends).
- Run regular social campaigns and track their success at building followers, growing enrollment, expanding engagement, and driving relevant traffic to targeted platforms.
- Conceive and execute targeted paid social campaigns that boost engagement with our content and direct interested people to learn more and apply.
- Explore new ways to engage and new social networks to reach target audiences and deploy key analytic tools to measure effectiveness of social efforts and adjust course as needed.
- Listen to and engage in relevant social discussions among existing and potential audiences, and closely track California’s political and higher education news cycles and social media chatter.
- Develop partnerships with members of the Calbright community, social media influencers, and subject matter experts to increase social lift of content. Cultivate strong working relationships and communication channels with partner organizations as well as colleagues throughout the California Community Colleges System.
- Serve as primary contact for third-party social media partners and vendors.
- Develop and implement comprehensive social media strategies (both long-range and opportunistic) for current and new platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Consult with senior Marketing and Communications leadership to ensure strategies meet broader organizational needs and messaging priorities.
- Research, develop, design, and produce social media content (video, images, animations, etc).
- Determine optimal presentation, tone, and platform to convey key institutional messages in ways that are impactful and shareable. Plan and optimize a detailed social media calendar that supports and enhances the overall communications strategy of the department and College.
- Maintain currency with emerging social media technologies and trends. Develop best practice policies and guidelines for how social media platforms are adopted, launched, and maintained.
- Perform other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of the essentials of social media strategy and execution.
- Advanced copywriting, graphic design, and content-creation skills with the ability to adapt style, tone, and voice to varied content types and audiences, while staying on-brand and on-message.
- Demonstrated experience devising and executing social campaigns independently, with accompanying project management skills to complete projects under tight time and budget constraints.
- Understanding of and prior experience managing paid social campaigns that drive engagement and action.
- High fluency in handling visual/multimedia content, with demonstrated facility in design and photo-editing tools and video editing.
- Strong familiarity with using social media analytics tools to measure, adapt and optimize strategies and platforms accordingly.
- Excellent communicator and creative thinker, with an ability to use both data and intuition to inform decisions. A strong grasp of how digital communication can effectively convey and advance messages to various audiences.
- Strong collaborative and relationship-development skills in working across organizational teams and with the public. Politically astute and skilled in anticipating institutional concerns and coming up with workable solutions.
- Meticulous copy-editing skills.
- Understanding of complex, multi-channel social media in support of a large organization.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, staff, and faculty.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, English, Journalism, or similar field.
- At least 3 years experience directing and managing social media channels with a strong understanding of each outlet and their best practices. Equivalent experience creating digital content.
- Familiarity with digital publishing and content management processes, particularly for Wordpress-based websites.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite tools, especially Photoshop and Premiere (for graphic/photo manipulation and video editing, respectively) as well as other tools for creating multimedia assets for social channels such as Instagram.
- Experience implementing best practices for SEO including basic publishing practices, copywriting, link building, and optimization tactics across social media.
- Understanding of how digital and social media can work to amplify and/or catalyze broader integrated communications efforts.
Working Conditions and Travel
- Calbright College is a statewide online college where all instruction and support are done via various online technologies both in person and remotely. Calbright College has administrative offices in Sacramento available for use. When working remotely, employees should be able and willing to use digital communication tools as used by the college, and have the ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time.
- Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.
- The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Calbright College policies, procedures, and Title IX.
- Calbright College celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing Calbright College’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
- Requires the ability to function in a remote online instructional environment performing work of primarily a sedentary nature. Requires the ability to use hearing and speech to make presentations to groups and carry on conversations over the phone and in-person. Requires speaking skills to communicate with staff and students in one-on-one and small group settings, on the phone, and to distinguish sound prompts from various types of equipment. Requires near visual acuity to read printed materials and computer screens. Requires sufficient hand/arm/finger dexterity to retrieve work materials, operate a personal computer keyboard, and operate standard office equipment. Requires the ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Calbright College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Calbright College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Who We Are
Calbright College is one of California’s newest community colleges – the first statewide, online campus designed to bridge the gap between employers with unfilled positions and students who don’t have either the time or money to attend a traditional school. Our mission is to increase economic mobility and close equity gaps for working adults who lack easy access to traditional forms of higher education by offering online, flexible, affordable skills-based programs that provide tangible economic value for both working adults and hiring managers.