Full Time Temporary
Details: $19.53 per hour
100 Gold Street
The New York City Department of Parks is transforming what was once the world’s largest landfill into a sweeping 2,200 acre park in one of the most ambitious public works projects undertaken in the city’s history. Freshkills Park combines state-of-the-art ecological restoration techniques and research on urban ecology with extraordinary settings for recreation, public art, education and scientific research. The Freshkills Park Development team is seeking a motivated and energetic candidate to deliver the park’s seasonal calendar of activities & events.
The Programming Associate will help coordinate and lead hiking, kayaking, canoeing, birding, special events, and tours and, as an ambassador for the park, will share the City’s vision for the future at Freshkills Park. This position will also include assisting staff with digital communications and outreach initiatives. The Programming Associate will be an outdoor enthusiast and have some event experience and be able to embrace challenges, take on new tasks, and work with diverse audiences to help visitors appreciate the beauty and potential of this new park.The Program Associate will report to the office at 100 Gold Street and will conduct program activities at Freshkills Park which is located in Staten Island. The park’s season of programs runs from April until the mid-November, and the role therefore includes many weekend shifts. Please note that the role entails physically challenging work (hiking, kayaking, lifting supplies and equipment).
- Under supervision, perform responsible work in the planning, coordination and evaluation of recreational programming for Freshkills Park.
- Organize, schedule, publicize, and lead public programs for the general public including: hiking, kayaking, photography, birding, and group/public tours.
- Assist in organizing and conducting public/special events at Freshkills Park including races, sporting events, arts events, and festivals.
- Distribute and create promotional and educational materials about the park and upcoming events.
- Assist in development of material for blog posts/social media and other communications.
- High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities
- in an area related to duties described above; or
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” above.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in physical science, urban planning, or environmental studies or related
- Proven education or outdoor leadership experience; physical ability to hike, kayak in challenging conditions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus
- Ability to work a schedule including many evenings and weekends.
- Valid New York State driver license.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $61. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the City will be subject to an $87.00 background check fee.
Work Location: 100 Gold Street, NY, NY and Freshkills Park, Staten Island, NY
The duration of the position is approximately May 15 to November. 15, 2018.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter to: Email: Shane.Gardiner@parks.nyc.gov
or Mail to Shane Gardiner, Freshkills Park, 100 Gold Street, Suite 3100; New York, NY 10007