Basic Function: Oversee the daily administrative functions of the Legal dept., including supervising the secretarial staff, to assure the efficient functioning of the department. Act as liaison among the administrative support and professional staff and perform a wide range of administrative duties. Perform assignments requested by the General Counsel (“EVP/GC”) and Deputy General Counsel.
Work Performed (List duties of this position):
- Perform a wide range of administrative and secretarial duties, including the preparation and tracking of contract and commitment request approval packages; time sheet review; assistance with annual performance review materials and communications with outside counsel in connection with financial statement preparation, maintain legal department vacation calendar
- Initiate and maintain organizational and tracking systems, including filing systems, attorney assignment and project lists; and logs tracking correspondence, contract reporter exemption requests and requests for in-house ethics opinions
- Supervise administrative assistants and coordinators
- Coordinate and distribute the work overflow within the department
- Work on confidential matters for the EVP/GC & Deputy GC
- Respond to certain correspondence at the request of the EVP/GC & Deputy GC
- Schedule and coordinate meetings and maintain EVP/GC & Deputy GC calendars
- Advise staff of policies and procedures relating to job performance
- Liaison between Legal dept. and the Administrative Services, Contracts Administration and MIS Dept’s
- Work closely with the EVP/GC & Deputy GC on special projects, coordinate reports, etc.
- Interview secretarial candidates
- Coordinate support staff vacation schedules to ensure proper coverage in the Dept.
- Serve as overseer for the Legal dept. and keep department head abreast of any problems/developments
- Timesheets for ESD and DED team members
- Send reminders to complete
- Handle approvals of time
- Maintain Out-of-Office Calendar for vacations, sick time etc.
- Responsible for maintaining office supplies and ordering same from the mailroom
- Supervise two Administrative Assistants
- Initiate and update the Legal Department's Shared Calendar and Contacts
- Mandatory Training: remind team members of training deadlines and keep track of those completed
- Update the various Legal Department phone lists and project assignments lists
- Assist in on-boarding new team members/interns
- Legal Team Manual — in process of pulling this together for new hires
- Help set up offsite trips for the Legal Team and Board Members
- Coordinate space at 633 Third Avenue for visiting team members from Albany and Buffalo
Education level required: Associates college degree or secretarial business school graduate
Knowledge /Skills Required: 5+ years of progressive administrative and/or business related experience and senior executive administrative experience; Supervisory experience; Must be proficient in computer applications: MS Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint; Must have excellent ability to multi-task and perform adequately under pressure; Must have excellent oral and written communication skills; plus excellent telephone etiquette; Must be able to handle confidential matters discreetly; Experience in legal office a plus.