110 William Street, 7th Floor
The Department of Small Business Services’ Communications Office provides the public and the press with information about Agency programs and initiatives as well as events and accomplishments, using marketing, traditional, social, and online media.
The Press Associate will be responsible for assisting in the communication of accurate and strategic information consistent with Agency branding to the public, media, and internally. Using online, social and traditional media, the Associate will communicate information about SBS and its various departments and brands with a focus on Workforce1, in order to achieve agency goals and publicize programs and accomplishments.
This position requires strong writing skills, attention to detail, the ability to excel in a fast-paced and high pressure environment, and significant collaboration with a variety of stakeholders within and outside of SBS, including: SBS’ Workforce Development Division, Business Development Division, Neighborhood Development Division, Department of Economic and Financial Opportunity; City Hall; and press. The Press Associate will report to the Director of Communications. Specific responsibilities include:
· Assist with outreach to press including print, television, radio and blogs.
· Draft media materials such as press releases, media advisories, proactive pitches, talking points, etc.
· Help identify proactive media opportunities and appropriate reporters or news outlets.
· Compile proactive pitch emails and scripts, and reach out to reporters with story ideas, with a focus on workforce related stories, successes and profiles.
· Manage media monitoring and maintain a press archive.
· Research and compile background information to prepare Commissioner and staff for interviews.
· Writing and editing of quotes and remarks for the Commissioner and press opportunities.
· Help manage special projects as needed.
· Maintain a broad and generalist understanding of SBS content areas in order to identify opportunities and message effectively.
Social Media and Marketing
- Assist with the online and social media communication efforts for the Agency and its four divisions.
- Identify opportunities, draft content for SBS and programmatic websites, Facebook, Twitter.
- Help ensure that all Web sites and social media outlets are updated and maintained on a regular basis.
- Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to identify reporters, pitch news stories, and secure press placements.
- Proven ability to implement and manage social media campaigns.
- Proven ability to organize large quantities of information into clear and concise presentations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Applications, including MS Excel, MS Word, MS Access, MS PowerPoint.
- Ability to manage multiple projects on tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to excel in a fast paced, high pressure, environment.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in public relations, marketing, journalism, or other activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, business, public administration, or a closely related field.
- At least 2 years’ experience in public relations and marketing in the public, private, or non-profit sector, with experience interacting with press and maintaining online and social media presence. Successful placement of news stories a plus.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter including the following subject line: Press Associate to: email@example.com