Policy Support Specialist (Contracted) - NYC DOE Division of Early Childhood Education
52 Chambers Street
The Mayor and the Chancellor are committed to providing high-quality early childhood programming in New York City. Research demonstrates that quality early childhood education contributes to student achievement and is associated with other long-term benefits.
The Division of Early Childhood Education (DECE) is partnering with the New York City Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) to provide technical assistance for city-contracted early childhood care and education programs. Accordingly, DECE has an opening for a Policy Support Specialist Consultant to assist in the provision of on-site technical assistance, training, and monitoring to these birth-to-five programs across NYC.
As described below, the role will focus on providing site visits and technical assistance to early care and education programs to promote healthy and safe learning environments for young children and their families. Candidates with experience in the early childhood sector are encouraged to apply. This role requires frequent travel across NYC communities.
Hours: 35 hours per week; consultancy expected to run from January 28, 2019 through June 30, 2019
Reports to: Policy Development and Support Team, Division of Early Childhood Education
· Conduct ongoing monitoring and support visits to a group of assigned city-contracted early childhood programs serving infants, toddlers, and/or preschoolers
· Use observations and data review to assess the program’s implementation of quality expectations, with a particular focus on health and safety in the learning environment
· Develop collaborative relationships with program staff and leaders to provide feedback, identify needs for technical assistance and training, and implement improvement plans
· Support programs to implement self-monitoring and assessment practices to develop sustainable services and systems
· Organize and track program data in a centralized system
· Provide feedback to the DECE to inform long term planning and process improvements
· Work closely with the Policy Support Manager to identify ongoing needs and determine effective supports for the assigned group of programs
· Support special projects as required
Required Qualities and Skills
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following qualities and skills:
· Strong project management and personal organization skills
· Ability to learn protocols and procedures quickly, and be responsive to feedback
· Strong interpersonal skills, including effective verbal and written communication; approaches teamwork with a strong service and relationship orientation
· Ability to track information accurately and communicate complex data succinctly
· Ability to multitask, take initiative, comfortably switch gears, and prioritize workload
· Ability to work effectively as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
Education: Bachelor’s Degree is required. Master’s or other advanced degree is preferred
Term of Employment and Pay Rate
The role is a 6-month consultancy, with the possibility of extension, planned to begin on January 28, 2019. The role requires 35 hours per week, beginning at 8:30am, Monday-Friday. The pay rate for this role is $30 an hour. The role is eligible for paid sick time off after 120 days of employment.
Minimum Education Required