Pre-K Expansion Consultant - NYC DOE Division of Early Childhood
52 Chambers Street
The Mayor and the Chancellor are committed to providing high quality, full-day pre-K for all 4-year-olds in New York City. Research demonstrates that quality pre-K contributes to student achievement and is associated with other long-term benefits. Every student in NYC deserves access to the variety of teaching approaches and strong foundation of skills and knowledge that high-quality pre-K provides.
As part of the Pre-K for All initiative, the Division of Early Childhood’s Expansion Team works to ensure that there is a Pre-K seat available for every family with a four year old who would like to participate. The Expansion Consultant will support the Expansion team’s work to meet this goal. As described below, the role will be a mix of external engagement and customer service. This is a great role for a candidate looking to expand their knowledge of the education space and gain experience in central administration.
The Expansion Consultant role will evolve over time, depending on the time of the year and the cycles of key work streams. The ideal candidate will be a flexible worker who thrives in an all-hands-on-deck environment. Specific responsibilities will likely include:
- Managing and tracking communications with key stakeholders (superintendents, principals, principal leadership facilitators, borough field support staff, center leadership) through regular meetings and other touch points to introduce relevant subject matters
- Building relationships with principals, superintendents and internal stakeholders in order to support the implementation of new 3-k classrooms
- Developing key documents and communications for leadership and other critical internal and external stakeholders
- Supporting dual language planning being developed in Pre-k and 3-k, both citywide, and within specific district schools
- Working in partnership with teams to make recommendations on strategic projects such as district school portfolio development of Pre-k and 3-k seats based on citywide analysis of demand, district needs, and overall supply of seats, as well as the school allocation memorandum that will guide budget allocations for Pre-k and 3-k classes in schools citywide
Required Qualities and Skills
The ideal candidate for the Expansion Consultant role will demonstrate the following qualities and skills:
- Stellar written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to push forward multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Operational experience and willingness to manage operations
- Communicative leader who takes initiative to foster meaningful relationships
- Strategical thinker, tactical executer
- Innate customer service orientation, including patience and poise with confused or frustrated stakeholders
- Ability to adapt, stay focused, maintain composure when working on tight timelines in changing circumstances
- High level of attention to detail
- Willingness dive in on new projects wherever needed with enthusiasm and an all-hands-on-deck mentality
Term of Employment, Reporting Structure, and Pay Rate
The role is a consultancy for approximately 9-12 months, to be determined when an offer is made to the candidate. The pay rate for this role is $30-35 an hour (depending on experience) at 35 hours a week and it is not eligible for benefits except for paid sick days.
Minimum Education Required