Under the direction of the Deputy Director/Chief of Administration, the Communications Manager will oversee agency-wide communications and media related functions. Our expectations are that the successful candidate will be a highly motivated, well-organized self-starter with excellent interpersonal communication skills who enjoys public and community interactions. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Direct internal and external communications for the Community Development Department (CDD) and its divisions; coordinate communication with City’s Director of Communications and Community Relations, other City departments, and outside organizations as needed.
- Oversee development and execution of CDD’s long-term communications plan; incorporate and build upon (as needed) departmental brand guidelines and style guides to ensure consistency in CDD’s messaging across print and digital platforms
- Coordinate and develop media relations to promote departmental programs, public events, and initiatives to the community; optimize opportunities for engagement
- Develop creative materials for use in web, social and print media; utilize for publicity and marketing of programmatic campaigns and to increase awareness of CDD’s community engagement efforts.
- Manage the Department’s website content; write original content for department homepage and other webpages, upload documents as necessary and approve web edits from staff members. Serve as departmental liaison for website upgrades.
- Manage the Department’s social media strategy, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Develop press releases, advisories, and talking points for the department head and others
- Design, draft and edit departmental publications as needed.
- Collaborate with department staff to plan, review and execute initiatives and campaigns that promote the department’s comprehensive programs. Prepare updates on events and CDD successes; create periodic reports to communicate progress.
- May represent CDD at public events and/or make presentations to audiences that vary in size and backgrounds.
- May provide oversight to interns and/or consultants.
- Attend evening meetings as needed
- Perform other duties as required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English or a related field; plus 4-7 years of experience; an equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to relate to audiences with multiple dimensions of diversity, and work collaboratively with peers.
- Experience implementing communications strategies as well as using data to drive content strategies
- Knowledge of and experience using Adobe Creative Cloud software; ability to create design templates for flyers, posters, and other materials that align with branding guidelines
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, with a keen attention to detail
- Proficiency and comfort with technology, particularly social media (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) and development of web content.
- Ability to work independently on routine tasks and manage recurring project cycles.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- 5+ years of communications experience, including exposure to one or more of CDD’s programs (i.e., Community Planning, Housing, Economic Development, Environmental & Transportation Planning, and Zoning & Development)
- Experience implementing methods to measure and increase public engagement
- Experience with website content management systems, including content updates and basic HTML coding
- Knowledge of web-specific communication strategies and UX best practices a plus
- Familiarity with the Cambridge community preferred.
RATE $75,868 - $91,680 + excellent benefits
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit your resume (including social media handle), letter of interest, and a brief writing/graphic sample via email to: email@example.com or to the Personnel Department, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume (including social media handle), letter of interest and brief writing/graphic sample requested by 12/15/20. Position will remain open until filled.
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, MEMBERS OF THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY, AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.