Mayor’s Office of City Legislative Affairs Legislative Representative
Job ID Number: 17642
The Mayor’s Office of City Legislative Affairs is seeking a dynamic, detail-oriented professional for the position of Legislative Representative.
The Mayor’s Office of City Legislative Affairs serves as the principal liaison between Mayor Bill de Blasio’s administration and the New York City Council. City Legislative Affairs works toward the goal of fostering productive relationships between the executive and legislative branches and assists the Mayor’s administration in: (1) shaping public policy; (2) developing and advancing the Administration’s agenda through local law, the budget and land use; (3) negotiating City Council legislation; and (4) preparing agencies for City Council public hearings.
Legislative Representatives are each assigned a portfolio of City Council committees and are responsible for all legislation, oversight hearings and member requests from their respective committees. The Representative also acts as a liaison between the Mayor’s Office and the agencies that fall within each respective committee. The Representative also facilitates and approves meetings between City Council members and Agency officials and Commissioners.
Duties of a Legislative Representative include, but are not limited to:
• Tracking legislation introduced by the City Council and monitoring its progress as it moves through the legislative process;
• Working with agencies in reviewing and preparing legislation;
• Working with agencies in crafting a response to City Council legislation and oversight hearings and preparing testimony;
• Preparing written analyses of legislation;
• Drafting mayoral bill-signing statements and correspondence;
• Facilitating interactions between the City Council and the Administration, including responding to requests from members and staff in a timely manner; and
• Assisting in overseeing and supervising staff.
Bachelor’s Degree. Graduate degree (JD/MPA/MS) preferred. Demonstrated understanding of and experience with any combination of the following: the local legislative process, public policy analysis, New York City agency operations and lobbying. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills along with a strong work-ethic and the ability to work independently are imperative.
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and three (3) references to https://a002-oom03.nyc.gov/IRM/EventRegistration/RegForm.aspx?eventGuid=4645fdd8-310d-4db6-884b-e64d4d17fefd&jobid=17642&pos=Legislative%20Representative
New York City Residency Is Required Within 90 Days Of Appointment
The City Of New York And The Office Of The Mayor Are Equal Opportunity Employers
Minimum Education Required