545 Quincy Street
The Katmint Learning Initiative is a progressive preschool that offers emergent curriculum enriched by both student-led and teacher-guided activities. Our school environment is structured, play-based and whole-child centered. We believe that creativity, community, and a love of learning are integral to a humanistic and thriving school culture. Therefore, we incorporate multiple philosophies, such as Bank Street, Montessori, and emergent curriculum into our primarily play-based curriculum. We are small yet growing program, and we are known for our civic-mindedness, flexibility, and diverse school community. The Katmint currently serves children ages 6 months to 4 and their families.
The Katmint Learning Initiative was founded in 2013 by two parents who saw the need for a preschool alternative for families in the Bedford–Stuyvesant area of Brooklyn that offered quality enrichment, affordability, and flexibility to complement the complex work schedules of parents in New York City. Over the last 3 years, The Katmint Learning Initiative has grown and developed from a small playgroup of 1 to 2 students to a full-day independent preschool serving over 50 students at two locations in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.
The Katmint Learning Initiative seeks a part-time, dedicated Lead Teacher to join our growing program. The Lead Teacher will guide and shape the learning environment for students ages 2 months to 4 years. This substitute position could expand to full-time in September 2018.
Strong candidates are creative organizers and thinkers who are passionate about designing and facilitating interactive learning and development experiences, such as: read-alouds, classroom rituals, hands-on art-making, and math games. The Lead Teacher will respond to student interests by creating emergent curriculum themes as appropriate and with the support of assistant teachers. This role requires working closely with the school founder and administrative team. The Lead Teacher will communicate and build strong relationships with families. The teacher must be energetic, employ humor, and exude professionalism. We seek an educator looking to join and contribute to a dynamic faculty. The Lead Teacher will model a love of learning, respect for others, and investment in the classroom and school community.
The ideal candidate:
- Seeks consistent personal and professional growth.
- Possesses a willingness to try new strategies, including approaches to lesson plans, pedagogy, and classroom management.
- Exhibits confidence in leadership, collaboration, and teamwork.
- Has experience working in diverse learning environments.
- Communicates effectively and clearly in both written and oral communication.
- Is familiar with and energized by facilitating a play-based learning environment.
- Designs engaging curriculum and is inspired to implement emergent curriculum.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills, patience, and flexibility.
- Develops and sustains partnerships with students’ families.
- Has worked successfully with children ages 2 to 5 years.
- Displays positivity and enthusiasm.
The Lead Teacher’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Classroom and team administrative duties.
- Multi-tasking, delegation, and setting and meeting due dates.
- Integrating real-world learning and the surrounding community into the units of study, lessons, and classroom culture.
- Co-creating and sustaining a clean, tidy, and organized classroom.
- Maintaining a classroom budget.
- Monthly bulletin-board updates.
- Connecting and partnering with parents in various ways, such as email exchanges and parent conferences.
- Collaborating with other Lead Teachers to ensure continuity of classroom culture, curriculum, and pedagogy.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field of study
- New York State Teaching Certification in Early Childhood Education or the equivalent
- 2-3 years of relevant teaching experience
- Infant, Adult CPR/ First Aid Certification
- Prior Department of Health/OCFS Training
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Google DRIVE.
Salary: Commensurate with experience, range $15-$19 per hour
Schedule: Flexible, 8:30am - 5:30pm
Start Date: Immediate Hire
The Katmint Learning Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “ECE Substitute Lead Teacher - Full Name” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.