Details: Salary Commensurate with Experience
1612 K Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Open the Government is an inclusive, nonpartisan coalition that works to strengthen our democracy and empower the public by advancing policies that create a more open, accountable, and responsive government.
· Creating Accountability by Informing the Public through Securing, Preserving and Increasing Access to Records
· Protecting National Security by Decreasing Secrecy
· Empowering Communities by Increasing Access to Information
· Securing Checks and Balances by Addressing Threats to Norms of Access and Openness
OTG is seeking an experienced communications professional to implement a comprehensive communications strategy that will strengthen the message of our coalition, educate the public and policy leaders, and support openness and accountability measures.
- Manage the planning and execution of OTG’s communications and outreach to a wide variety of audiences, including the media, policy makers, coalition partners and the public.
- Coordinate joint media strategies and projects with OTG partner groups, and provide tools for partners to use in their own communications efforts.
- Build and maintain relationships with reporters and editors. Pitch stories and op-eds.
- Oversee organizational response to media inquiries.
- Draft press releases, blog posts, opinion pieces and other products.
- Edit all public facing documents.
- Contribute to drafting and editing grant proposals.
- Oversee the OTG website, blog, and social media accounts.
- Help plan and coordinate events and conferences.
- Create a rapid response strategy to take advantage of the news cycle.
- Draft and distribute bi-monthly partner newsletter.
- BA, BS in journalism, communications, public relations or a related field and at least 5-7 years in media relations or communications.
- Experience pitching to broadcast, print, and digital outlets.
- Experience using content management systems.
- Experience managing social media platforms for an organization.
- Familiarity with the policy-making process. Hill or nonprofit experience a plus.
- An innovative and proactive approach to growing media coverage.
- A commitment to strengthening our democracy and support for OTG’s mission. Familiarity with oversight and accountability issues a plus.
- Graphic design ability a plus.
- Collegial team player with a sense of humor.
Salary commensurate with experience. OTG offers a generous benefits package.
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com
OTG is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.
Minimum Education Required