BASIC FUNCTION: Under the general direction of the Minority and Women’s Business Development (MWBD) Executive Vice President (EVP) and Executive Director, develops, executes and refines a systematic framework for data collection, analysis and reporting across all operational units to promote Minority and Women-owned Business Enterprise (MWBE) engagement and utilization on New York State procurements.
Lead the operations, compliance and research activities of the Division, including development and timely submission of reports. Be the driving force behind division’s culture priorities and develop creative solutions to amplify employee engagement, and overall company morale. Coordinate with all State agencies and authorities on MWBE participation, provide recommendations on legislative matters affecting the MWBE community, and oversee the business operations of the division related to investigation, audit or inspection based on complaint, certification performance, 15-A compliance, customer service report, business development impact, and overall Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) metrics for the division..
- Define and implement operations strategy, structure, and processes across the division.
- Facilitate an ongoing and consistent review of implementation of operation delivery model, while developing a collaborative process with all units to ensure consistent improvement based upon empirical data and customer feedback.
- Coordinate the Disparity Study to evaluate MWBEs in state contracts to support the division in its ongoing efforts to increase access, resources, and business opportunities for the MWBE community.
- Develop and implement procedures concerning compliance functions, including development of collection and compilation of agency reports on MWBE utilization for incorporation into statewide report; identification of agencies for compliance auditing and approval of audit methodologies.
- Participate actively in the development of IT applications and the structuring of data to support and efficient, pragmatic reporting.
- Manage the Operations, Compliance and Research Unit, regularly improving efficiency and developing strategies as necessary.
- Provide executive leadership to the operations, compliance and research teams to create a culture of accountability with a focus on delivering repeatable, measurable results that support the division’s goal of creating a high-performance and diverse environment
- Participate in working groups, task forces, and forums on MWBE issues, and ensure the visibility of State MWBE activity throughout the MWBE stakeholder community.
- Respond to inquiries concerns from members of the public, MWBEs, elected officials, and NYS agencies.
- Participate in training sessions on MWBE data analysis and deliver remarks at conferences and other public gatherings.
- Work with agency services, business development, certification and customer service, MWBEs, and external stakeholders to promote and encourage full engagement in programs authorized under Article 15-A (such as MWBD related procurement practices and reporting protocols), as well as policies and practices relating to new initiatives.
- Create evaluation metrics and conduct quarterly evaluations to analyze various initiatives. Host meetings to share these results to help the participating stakeholders and agencies/authorities improve outputs. Hold annual evaluation meetings with business community and agencies/authorities to review metrics, measure effectiveness, and elicit feedback on any improvements needed for the program.
- Represent ESD on behalf of the Division by participating on panels for various business seminars, agencies, authorities, community-based organizations, and business trade groups.
- Responsible for executing successful operations deployment across the division
- Execute and refine a systematic framework for data collection, analysis and reporting across operational functions
- Present data-driven recommendations to optimize our go-to-market execution.
- Embed a data-driven customer-centric mindset across the organization
- Execute on the division’s vision for customer excellence. Drive customer advocacy and experience with the goal of driving action and results across the organization.
- Develop and implement a roadmap for continued enhancement of operational capabilities that will scale as the business demand grows and expectations evolve.
- Monitor performance to proactively identify efficiency issues and propose solutions through structured processes.
- Provide regular performance updates to the Executive Vice President & Executive Director and leadership team.
- Build strong, trusting relationships with leaders by helping them think through their most challenging people problems — from org design and evolution to performance management to individual coaching
- Partner directly with the executive team and department heads to develop and meet organizational objectives.
- Other ad-hoc reports, duties and projects from time to time and based on divisional needs.
- Statewide travel required.
Position expected to work onsite and/or remote consistent with NYS and ESD guidelines and needs.
EDUCATION & REQUIREMENTS:
Education Level required: A bachelor’s degree in government, business, public administration, economics, or relevant field. Graduate degree preferred.
Relevant experience required: Eight (8) plus years of relevant experience with community and economic development issues and business operations. Five (5) plus years’ experience in a leadership role, which involved developing and/or implementing strategic plans, process and procedure improvements, and/or long-term sustainable efficiency measures. Eight (8) plus years of management experience. Experience in the field of executive level management and/or management consulting experience preferred. A J.D. or master’s degree may substitute for two years of relevant experience.
Knowledge required: MWBE/Affirmative Action and/or community economic development. Knowledge of government, policy and program development. Excellent written and oral communications skills.