Project Manager, Jobs Plus Initiatives
This is a temporary grant-funded position.
The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) is committed to increasing opportunities for low- and moderate-income New Yorkers by providing safe, affordable housing and facilitating access to social and community services. NYCHA’s Department of Resident Economic Empowerment & Sustainability (REES) is charged with working to develop and implement programs, policies and collaborations to measurably support residents’ increased economic opportunities with a focus on asset building, employment, advancement, adult education and training, and business development.
Jobs-Plus is a proven, place-based employment program designed to increase the earnings and employment of working-age residents through customized employment services, financial counseling, rent-based incentives and peer to peer support. A collaboration between the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA), Human Resources Administration (HRA), the Center for Economic Opportunity (CEO), and the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), there are currently ten (10) Jobs-Plus sites operating city-wide in twenty-seven (27) NYCHA Developments.
REES is seeking a dynamic Project Manager, Jobs Plus Initiative to serve as a member of the REES Team and the Jobs-Plus Collaborative, with a specific focus on supporting the new HUD funded Jobs Plus Initiative site serving Pennsylvania-Wortman Avenue Houses in East New York, Brooklyn. As the only federally funded site in New York City, the HUD Jobs Plus Project Manager will play an integral role in the launch, implementation and contract and grants management of the new Jobs-Plus Initiative to assure that the site meets contractual goals, abides by the Jobs Plus model and has a positive and measurable impact on the Penn-Wortman community. This position requires a talented individual who is equally comfortable working directly in public housing communities and in-house on project management duties.
Responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to the following:
1. Support and advance the Jobs-Plus Initiative as part of NextGeneration NYCHA, NYCHA’s 10-year strategic plan and the City’s overall goal of increasing employment opportunities for NYCHA residents.
2. Responsible for contract and project management related to the Penn-Wortman Jobs-Plus site, in collaboration with NYCHA’s Office of Public Private Partnerships, Accounting & Fiscal Services Department, and the Jobs-Plus Collaborative. This will include facilitating the execution of an inter-agency agreement; monitoring program and vendor budgets; reviewing invoices for payments; monitoring program match; writing and submitting program reports and acting as one of NYCHA’s main point people to HUD on the grant.
3. Serve as NYCHA’s point person to the Jobs-Plus Collaborative team on all operational, data sharing, reporting and programmatic items related to the Penn-Wortman Jobs Plus Initiative to ensure success of the overall program. Provide support on HUD Jobs-Plus evaluations with third party researcher, if any.
4. Support the Assistant Director, Outreach and Zone Coordination to ensure that systems and procedures are captured and implemented at the Jobs-Plus site, particularly as it relates to technical assistance, outreach and administration of the site specific NYCHA rent incentive called the Jobs Plus Earned Income Disallowance (JPEID).
5. Liaise with Property Management, the Resident Association, the Jobs Plus vendor and other REES Zone Partners to ensure ongoing collaboration, project buy-in and that economic opportunity resources are directed towards the site.
6. Ensure agreed upon data and other relevant information, such as development demographics, are shared in a timely and routine basis with the Collaborative.
7. Represent NYCHA at Penn-Wortman and/or HUD Jobs-Plus trainings and grants management meetings, other external meetings, and/or site visits with elected officials, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), community boards and other key stakeholders.
8. Perform other related items as needed.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Master’s degree in social work, public administration, community and economic development, public policy, education, business or related field preferred.
2. 5-7 years professional experience with one or more of the following preferred: community organizing, planning, workforce development, financial literacy and asset building, resident business development, adult education, job training, community development, management consulting, program evaluation.
1. Contract and grants management, project management budgeting experience and grants writing is a must.
2. Exceptional project management, organizational, analytical, quantitative and qualitative skills.
3. Creative and strategic thinker, entrepreneurial, self-starter and detail oriented.
4. Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
5. Past experience in economic development. Experience working with public housing residents and in public housing communities is a plus.
6. Advanced computer skills, ability to pull reports and analyze data.
7. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
8. Bilingual preferred.
Interested candidates may submit cover letter and resume to www.nyc.gov/careers/search. Search for JOB ID# 318062.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer
Minimum Education Required