Basic Function: Support the analysis, development, and implementation, of New York State economic development-related policies, and assist in the operational implementation of newly enacted State policies, as well as the implementation and management of special projects.
- Legislative analysis: Collect, review, analyze, and prepare briefings that synthesize the implications of executive, legislative, and stakeholder, policy proposals.
- Policy implementation: Help draft operational plans, including step-by-step process documents, to inform the full implementation of new agency policies.
- Project management and support: Update and maintain documents related to tracking the schedule and status of legislation, policy proposals, and special projects.
- Interdepartmental and interagency coordination: coordinate with other ESD departments and agencies to inform policy proposals, and to conduct policy analysis.
Education Level: Bachelor’s degree in public administration, public policy, political science or a related field required. Master’s degree a plus and can substitute for one year experience.
Experience and Knowledge:
- 3-5 years of relevant full-time professional experience.
- Knowledge of economic development-related fields such as tax policy, real estate development, economic incentives (loans, grants, tax credits), workforce development, public-private partnerships, research and development, commercialization and/or business marketing.
- Familiarity with New York State government policies and programs and/or experience working within State government or the New York State Legislature.
- Familiar with green economy issues such as clean energy and climate change mitigation.
- Detail orientation: Submits and approves error-free, “zero defect” work products, including on short deadlines and in response to time-sensitive requests.
- Critical thinking: Skilled at providing insightful critiques of policy proposals, identifying unforeseen consequences, proposing remedies to potential issues, and assessing the short-term and long-term impacts of policy decisions, from both an internal and external perspective. Prepares thoughtful and thorough work products that anticipate and address potential questions from management.
- Communicating: Delivers action and results-oriented briefings; communicates in language understandable to intelligent non-experts; summarizes key points efficiently and clearly; prepares professionally written, aesthetically appealing materials suitable for public consumption.
- Collaborating: Builds supportive, trusting relationships with colleagues internally and externally; cultivates a diverse network of colleagues from which to solicit information, feedback and support.
Problem-solving: Skilled at breaking complex problems into manageable and discrete tasks; willingness to question and revisit the status quo; ability to navigate impediments and competing stakeholder concerns to achieve pragmatic results.