DC Public Schools is seeking talented, dedicated leaders who have the skills and experience to lead our schools and the desire to help transform DCPS into the highest performing urban school district in the nation—for all of our students.
We believe that all students can achieve at the highest levels and are committed to closing the achievement gap. To do this, we need inspiring leaders who:
- Are passionate about student achievement and closing the achievement gap.
- Believe that the urgency of closing this gap is too great to accept excuses of any kind.
- Motivate and support their teachers and staﬀ while holding all adults in the building accountable for ensuring student success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
All DCPS Assistant Principals will be responsible for the following:
- Articulating a clear instructional vision alongside the principal with a school-wide focus on teaching and learning that is data-driven, standards-aligned and rooted in a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
- Aligning human resources to school needs, setting high expectations and eﬀectively managing all or a subset of school employees to meet school goals.
Leading for Increased Eﬀectiveness
- Focusing on evidence-based growth and results to drive the school towards annual and long-term goals.
- Engaging school community members eﬀectively to ensure all stakeholders are included in school improvement eﬀorts. Listening to and communicating with all the school’s stakeholders; building successful interpersonal relationships with faculty, staﬀ members, family and community members and students.
- Managing the change process with the principal, including making tough decisions when necessary to move the school and students forward.
- Engaging in constant personal learning, including the need to learn and adapt when faced with challenges and successes.
Depending upon school placement, some DCPS Assistant Principals will be responsible for the following additional duties:
- With the principal, implementing consistent school-wide instructional practices that are clear, results-oriented and research-based.
- Creating opportunities for ongoing learning and staﬀ development that are informed by data.
- Executing results-focused school operations and resource management that ensure minimal disruptions to teaching and Developing and maintaining a purposeful school culture that supports a safe and eﬀective learning environment.
Candidates must possess the following professional qualiﬁcations:
- Applicants must obtain an Administrative Services Credential (ASC) through the oﬃce of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).
- To obtain an ASC, at minimum, applicants must: EITHER (1) possess at least a master's degree, (2) have spent two years or more in a full-time, K-12 school-based position, and (3) have earned a passing score on the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA). OR (1) possess a bachelor's degree and (2) have completed a state-approved program in K-12 Leadership/Administration. For a full description of ASC requirements, please visit OSSE's website: OSSE ASC Requirements.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The Oﬃce of Labor Management & Employee Relations (LMER) ensures that eligible employees receive beneﬁts and opportunities equal to those provided to non-disabled employees. LMER also ensures that eligible disabled employees receive requested reasonable accommodations. Employees with inquiries regarding ADA policies should contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Unit, District of Columbia Public Schools, 1200 First Street, NE, 10th Floor, Washington, DC 20002, (202) 442-5424.