Director of Strategic Communications, Office of Engagement, Boston Public Schools
- Job posted by Boston Public Schools Office of Engagement
2300 Washington Street
Founded in 1647, Boston Public Schools (BPS) is the oldest public school district in the country. With approximately 57,000 students from over 114 different countries, and nearly 9,000 employees (including 4,800 teachers), BPS is the largest school district in Massachusetts and one of the most diverse as well.
The BPS Office of Engagement seeks an experienced individual to serve as the Director of Strategic Communications leading the development and implementation a strategic plan to support the district’s community engagement efforts. The Director will primarily develop communications campaigns to build broad internal and community awareness and understanding of district initiatives, their potential impact on students and families, and clarity around timelines and the areas for public input. Secondarily the position will support broader OOE efforts to communicate to families with particular respect to the work of its Welcome Services unit responsible for student registration and assignment.
S/he will develop and maintain multimedia communication tools, manage production/logistics, create compelling and up-to-date content for distribution via the BPS website, videos, newsletters, social media and other media platforms. The position will design strategies for reaching hard to reach populations by partnering with organizations and media outlets serving specific linguistic, racial, cultural and low SES populations. The individual will partner with the Asst. Superintendent and OOE Director of Community Engagement to create family and community friendly powerpoints and prezis, reports and fact sheets.
1. Develop and execute strategic communications plans to maximize impact with target audiences as it relates to community engagement efforts and student registration and assignment; and increase stakeholder awareness knowledge and understanding of district initiatives
2. Play a lead role in writing and editing written material in all aspects of OOE’s work
3. Develop and execute the advocacy and communications strategy for OOE including writing/editing public-facing materials such as op-eds fact sheets, talking points, event briefings, meeting summaries, press releases, and media advisories
4. Propose, project manage and collaborate with the OoE Administrative Assistant to organize site visits, panel discussions, and other cultivation and engagement events
5. Capture relevant stories and artifacts in real-time and via conversations with team members and turn-key them into useable communication tools
6. Manage online activities, including updates to and maintenance of the website, and development of innovative data visualizations such as infographics; oversee execution of regular communications
7. Draft talking points and guidance for speeches, presentations, media inquiries, and publications;
8. Evaluate results and impact of communications activities; report on developments, trends and attitudes regarding BPS key initiatives and reforms
9. Manage creative campaigns to lay the groundwork for effective community engagement
10. Create, update and maintain coordinated editorial and production calendars that maximize the Office’s work with stakeholders
11. Work with BPS Translations Manager to ensure high quality, translated materials
12. Collaborate and attend meetings with the various units of the Office to learn content, set common goals and plan outreach activities accordingly
13. Collaborate with the Office of Communications to ensure our efforts are complementary and that they are aware of OE’s activities and related communications needs
14. Work collaboratively with members of other department to ensure accurate information and the successful distribution of materials
15. Perform other related duties as requested by the Assistant SUperintendent
A. Bachelor’s Degree
B. 5+ years professional experience, functioning successfully as a communications strategist in a political environment, preferably in public education or with a large, complex public organization.
C. Success working on issue-based communications and/or policy advocacy through messaging, positioning, media and communications strategy, journalism, branding and constituent engagement.
D. Demonstrate focused, flexible, creative and systemic capabilities in work and leadership style.
E. Experience in the education, social service, or non-profit sector
F. Strategic thinker that backwards-maps from outcomes
G. Outstanding analytical, interpersonal and written and oral communication skills in positions requiring communication with a broad and diverse audience.
H. Demonstrated ability to achieve sustainable results in a complex, dynamic and results-oriented organization where ability to work and project manage cross-functionally is critical
I. Entrepreneurial and creative spirit that can thrive in a bureaucratic environment
J. Highly proficient at establishing strong partnerships across organizations and developing powerful messages for different constituencies including parents, students, staff and community members; and a track record of developing strategies to effectively reach marginalized populations
K. Natural sense of effective design principles
L. High standard of quality and attention to detail
M. Ability to become conversant quickly in BPS and OOE’s work, a hunger to deeply understand our work, and the skills to communicate with experts;
N. Experience with and competency for design software such as Illustrator, Powerpoint, and/or others.
O. Knowledge of and experience with data base systems
P. Demonstrated cultural proficiency and awareness
Q. Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
R. This position is subject to the City of Boston residency ordinance.
S. Fiscal accountability and budget management experience.
A. Master’s Degree
B. Bilingual or multilingual with emphasis on Spanish, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean or Somali
C. Familiarity with html and WordPress, and video editing and production
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If interested, please apply before June 20th by submitting a cover letter and resume via the following link: https://bostonpublicschools.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=10815