Pre-K Program Readiness and Contracts Consultant - NYC Department of Education Division of Early Childhood
52 Chambers Street
The Mayor and the Chancellor are committed to providing high-quality full-day Pre-K for all 4-year-olds and 3-K for All for 3 year olds in New York City. Research demonstrates that quality early childhood education contributes to student achievement and is associated with other long-term benefits. Every student in NYC deserves access to the variety of teaching approaches and strong foundation of skills and knowledge that high-quality early education provides.
The Division of Early Childhood Education (DECE) administers both Pre-K and 3-K programs for NYC students in public elementary schools, NYCDOE Pre-K Centers, and New York City Early Education Centers (NYEECs). DECE provides families access to high quality early childhood options that prepare their children for academic success and the skills to lead a successful life.
DECE Central Field Operations currently has an opening for a Program Readiness and Contracts Consultant who will assist the Contracts and Program Readiness Team in the development, implementation, and ongoing management of contracts and program readiness initiatives in support of the city wide portfolio of early childhood programs. The Consultant will play an integral role in program administration by monitoring, assessing, and preparing documents and reports in collaboration with internal and external teams, and in alignment with decision making processes.
As described below, the role will be a mix of project management, cross team engagement, and development of training for field staff. This is a great role for a candidate looking to expand their knowledge of the education space and gain experience in central administration.
Hours: 35 hours per week
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Support the Director in coordination of key Contracts and Program Readiness projects and initiatives
- Monitor the implementation of initiatives to ensure adequate progress towards established benchmarks
- Assist in management of program priorities and communication to support staff, managers, and senior leadership
- Assist in development of reports, presentations, and other written communications for implementation and ongoing project management
- Support delivery of new provider trainings through logistics coordination, drafting of training materials, communications, tracking, etc.
- Supporting special projects as needed
Required Qualities and Skills
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following qualities and skills:
- At least 2-3 years of professional work experience, including program/operations/grants management, preferably in early childhood education or related field
- Demonstrated understanding and interest in early childhood systems
- Ability to organize and present facts and figures in a clear, concise and logical manner effectively and confidently, both verbally and in writing, to internal and external audiences
- Systems thinker with mix of analytical, logical, and creative problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Ability to stay focused and maintain composure when working on tight timelines, while ensuring a high level of attention to detail
- An innate customer service orientation, including patience and poise, with the ability to work collaboratively across diverse teams with varying goals
- Proficient across web platforms + MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
Education: Bachelor’s Degree is required. Master’s or other advanced degree is preferred
Professional Development Opportunities for Policy Consultants
As part of this role, the Central Field Operations team hopes to help Consultants develop as professionals and continue to build their careers. To facilitate that, Consultants will have the opportunity to participate in a number of activities throughout the year, including:
· Professional development trainings and discussions: Consultants will have the opportunity to attend professional development sessions focused on career-building in the education space
· Exposure to leaders within DECE: Consultants will have an opportunity to interact with DECE leaders
· Performance feedback reviews: During their time at DECE, Consultants will receive formal feedback from their manager on their performance and professional growth
Term of Employment, Reporting Structure, and Pay Rate
The role is a 12 month consultancy, starting ASAP. The Contracts and Program Readiness Consultant reports to the Director of Contracts and Program Readiness, Central Field Operations - Policy and Program Management in the Division of Early Childhood Education. The pay rate for this role is $30-35 an hour and is eligible for sick leave benefits.
Minimum Education Required