Boston Explorers (BE), an Urban Day Camp for children ages 7-15, seeks a highly responsible bike specialist in our Egleston Sq. location. Our staff is a diverse group of counselors who have a strong work ethic, demonstrate leadership and maturity, and enjoy the company of children. A considerable amount of time is spent exploring Boston, every day and the stamina and enthusiasm to be outside in all kinds of weather is required. Experience in education, child development and interest for the urban outdoors preferred. Competence with the fundamental mechanics of bicycles, bike repair and bike safety is required. Please check our website at www.bostonexplorers.org
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
Knowledge of youth and youth development is required, along with a passion for working with children in an inter-age setting. The bike specialist position will encompass 2-4 hours of bike-related activities per day. The remaining time is spent both as a general camp counselor and maintaining the bicycles and teaching bike safety.
Bike Specialist Duties
- Collaborate with Boston Explorers leadership to develop a summer camp bike program that includes:
- Pre-camp and regularly throughout the seven-week program, inspect our 25 bikes to ensure that they are in good and safe working order.
- Develop a basic bike curriculum that includes skill-building for both novices and more experienced riders in bicycle maintenance and repair as well as bike safety.
- Teach children basic bicycle safety checks, simple repairs and safe bicycle riding in the City.
- With fellow counselors, lead small (12-15 children) bike explorations on the Southwest Corridor, Arboretum, Franklin Park and other city bike trails.
General Counselor duties
BE counselors are essential to the success of the children in our program.
- A counselor’s chief responsibility is the children.
- Learn the children’s names.
- Greet them each morning.
- Play with them and talk to them.
- Find out about their interests and ideas.
- Invite them to try new things.
- Help them get to know one another and make new friends.
- Guide them in working out conflicts with other campers.
- Second, keeping children physically and emotionally safe.
- Monitoring of games and activities, ensuring safe play at all times.
- Maintain the trip bag with first aid supplies/medication and camper info sheets.
- Supervise children on public transportation and on explorations.
- Regularly monitor children’s interactions to maintain an atmosphere of inclusivity and kindness.
- Third, actively participate in the Boston Explorers camp community.
- Set up and run daily activities.
- Initiate new activities and interactive games to engage children.
- Participate in morning and afternoon camp community meetings.
- Participate in daily staff meetings.
- Last, communicate with and support fellow staff members
- Take direction from staff members in leadership roles.
- Communicate with and support other counselors with campers and activities.
- Inform senior staff of concerning behavior that may require intervention.
- Share your stories at the end of each day regarding fun and meaningful moments.
- Contribute to daily staff debriefing sessions.
- Bring concerns and issues to the Camp Director as soon as they become known.
- Maintain a work atmosphere that is cooperative, inclusive, and supportive of the campers.
In order to be considered for this position, you must be available on the following dates:
Staff Orientation: June 24 – July 2
Camp dates: July 6–Aug 13, 2021, 8:30am – 5:30pm
- Boston Explorers conducts Criminal Offenders Record Information (CORI) and Sexual
- Offenders Record Information (SORI) checks on all employees
- Boston Explorers maintains a 1:6 senior staff to camper ratio.
- Must be able to provide three written references.
- Must be able to provide immunization records (MA state regulations).
- Must be first-aid/CPR certified (if hired, BE will provide training)
- Abide by all Massachusetts, Boston Board of Health and Boston Explorers COVID policies and protocols.
Supervision and Evaluation
- Counselors and specialists report to and are supervised by Director and Assistant Director
- Informal evaluations and debrief meetings are conducted regularly throughout the summer with one written evaluation.