CUNY Start/Math Start Cooperating Teacher
(Continuing Education Teacher - Hourly) Part-time (approximately 25 hours weekly)
The CUNY Start Office of Academic Affairs and participating CUNY colleges work collaboratively to provide students with innovative approaches to developmental education through the CUNY Start/Math Start program. CUNY Start is recognized for its carefully designed curriculum and pedagogy, ongoing professional development and mentor-based training model. CUNY Start is an intensive program for incoming college students who have earned either a high school or high school equivalency diploma but need to increase their academic proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics prior to enrollment in college credit classes. Math Start, under the auspices of the CUNY Start program and based on its curriculum and pedagogy, is an intensive 8-week program for CUNY students who want to increase their math proficiency before starting credit-bearing classes. Math Start enrolls students who have been accepted to CUNY but have not passed the math sections of the CUNY Assessment Tests.
CUNY Start/Math Start programs are currently located on ten CUNY campuses: Borough of Manhattan Community College, Bronx Community College, College of Staten Island, Guttman Community College (Math Start only), Hostos Community College, Kingsborough Community College, LaGuardia Community College, Medgar Evers College, New York City College of Technology (Math Start only), and Queensborough Community College. Additional information about CUNY Start/Math Start can be found at www.cuny.edu/cunystart
The CUNY Start/Math Start Cooperating Math Start Teacher
The CUNY Start/Math Start Cooperating Teacher position (“Cooperating Math Teacher”) is a paid training opportunity to learn to use a successful, student-centered approach and curriculum with CUNY students who have significant remedial math needs. Under the supervision of the Program Director, the Cooperating Math Teacher is responsible for learning and/or supporting the work of an experienced CUNY Start/Math Start Instructor in implementing the CUNY Start/Math Start Mathematics curriculum. The Cooperating Math Teacher will be assigned to one of the ten CUNY campuses with CUNY Start/Math Start programs but may be required to work at more than one of the campuses.
Key duties include the following:
• Work under the guidance and leadership of the lead teacher;
• Study lesson plans thoroughly in advance of all classes;
• Observe classes and assist the lead teacher in and outside of the classroom;
• Lead classroom activities of increasing length over the course of the training semester;
• Tutor students outside of class time;
• Attend and participate in regular professional development meetings;
• Assist in student conferences, orientation, testing, and recruitment;
• Attend and participate in team meetings with advisors and teachers;
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred;
• Willingness to travel to multiple CUNY Start campuses.
In addition, the preferred candidate will possess the educational and professional qualifications appropriate to the teaching assignment as indicated below:
• Teaching experience in adult education, developmental skills, or related discipline;
• Willingness to implement a set curriculum and pedagogical approach that builds students' conceptual understanding of mathematics beyond their knowledge of procedures;
• Experience working with diverse learners;
• Strong written and interpersonal communication skills;
• Proactive and detail-oriented with strong organizational skills;
• Ability to work effectively as an individual contributor and team member;
• Ability to receive and incorporate feedback quickly;
• Computer proficiency using standard academic, administrative and office software programs/applications.
$36.64 per hour (Continuing Education Teacher rate); approximately 25 hours per week, Monday-Friday or Monday-Thursday in daytime programs and Monday-Thursday in afternoon/evening programs; Appointment period: up to approximately six (6) months; a maximum of 530 hours for a full six-month appointment.
Cooperating Math Teachers who successfully complete at least one semester of service in either the CUNY Start or Math Start program are eligible to apply for appointment as a Core or Support Teacher in the CUNY Start or Math Start program, to the extent vacancies are available. The Core positions in CUNY Start are annualized full- time Instructor positions. The Core and Support positions in Math Start are 6-month Continuing Education Teacher positions.
To apply, submit all of the following items to the email below in PDF or Word format only:
• A cover letter and current resume;
• A copy of a mathematics lesson plan that reveals some element of your teaching and learning values;
• A list that ranks the ten CUNY Start/Math Start campuses in order of your preferred location, with #1 your most preferred campus to #10 your least preferred campus. Also indicate whether you prefer a day (Monday-Friday or Monday-Thursday) or afternoon/evening program (Monday-Thursday) and/or your willingness to work in either program.
Please note that we cannot guarantee an applicant’s preferred campuses or schedule, but we will try to accommodate an applicant’s request whenever possible in alignment with program needs. Schedule options are subject to change. Program expansion is anticipated for afternoon and evening programs. Applicants able to train at the College of Staten Island or at Kingsborough Community College, or for afternoon and evening programs at any campus, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
Minimum Education Required