Part Time Contract
Details: The position pays $30 per hour
4 Bay Road
Culinary Arts Instructor
Type: Part-Time Consultant
Salary: $30 per hour
Hours: TBD, 10 - 15 per week (Schedule includes class time, hands-on learning, job coaching, and prep time)
Location: Springfield, MA
Are you looking for an opportunity to share your skills and passion for the culinary arts with youth and young adults? If so, Commonwealth Corporation has the perfect opportunity for you!
Commonwealth Corporation administers a youth training program in the culinary arts, which operates at a secure residential treatment facility in Springfield. The program provides youth with instruction to earn their ServSafe Manager Certification, small group work to receive hands-on training, and official jobs as part of a team in the commercial kitchen, allowing them to gain workplace skills, build self-confidence, and set goals for success in transitioning into mainstream employment.
Position Description:The Culinary Instructor provides direct culinary arts training, including ServSafe instruction and training, to youth, ages 14-18; and maintains a safe, clean, organized, instructional space.
1. Direct classroom instruction and training to prepare youth to sit for the ServSafe Manager Certification exam; administer the exam to youth.
2. Create and lead hands-on sessions to develop the youth’s kitchen experience.
3. Maintain weekly lesson plans.
4. Integrate individual student’s IEP goals and objectives, learning style information, transition goals and accommodations as needed.
5. Maintain an effective, creative, and balanced learning environment that meets the needs of students.
6. Mentor/coach good work ethic to youth through the oversight of jobs in the facility kitchen.
7. Oversee youth culinary team’s catering services at facility events.
8. Make industry connections to promote work-based learning opportunities for youth.
9.Provide technical assistance required to help maintain a successful culinary arts program that engages participants, including participation in regular meetings to collaboration to support overall youth engagement and safety and security.
10. Maintain effective and positive relationships across our provider networks, including the Department of Youth Services, Collaborative for Education Services, and Center for Human Development, as well as all vendors and partners related to this grant, to assure the effective implementation of the program.
11. Communication and collaboration with the Program Manager to ensure quality and timeliness of deliverables.
12. Additional responsibilities as directed by the Director of the DYS Education and Workforce Development Initiative
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive experience in culinary arts, including catering, ServSafe instruction, and menu planning
- Ability to think quickly and utilize problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate and work with a diverse group of individuals
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Excellent communication skills are required.
- Must be willing to work in DYS facilities and settings.
- ServSafe Manager Instructor and Proctor certified, or willing and able to receive certification upon hire.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
The successful applicant will need to agree to submit to a thorough background check, including Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI), Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI), Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV), and Department of Children and Families (DCF).
Commonwealth Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to Director of Human Resources at Hrapplicant@commcorp.org.