EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, NEW YORK ALLIANCE FOR CAREERS IN HEALTHCARE (NYACH)
- Job posted by NYC Department of Small Business Services
110 William Street, 7th Floor
The first recommendation of Mayor de Blasio’s workforce development strategy, Career Pathways: One City, Working Together, is expanding Industry Partnerships to ensure that New York City businesses are able to find the talent needed to thrive and grow and New Yorkers are equipped with the skills and qualifications needed to access jobs with family sustaining wages. Industry Partnerships are intermediaries between industry, government, organized labor, academia, philanthropy, community-based organizations and training providers that work together to drive the economic vitality of NYC through the development of a superior talent pool that is inclusive of all New Yorkers.
New York Alliance for Careers in Healthcare (NYACH)
As a public-private partnership, NYACH is the Industry Partnership for the healthcare sector, bringing together disparate entities of the workforce development system in order to address the healthcare industry’s rapidly changing labor force needs.
NYACH’s mission is to build an effective healthcare workforce development system in NYC by identifying healthcare employers’ needs; helping education and training organizations adapt their approach to better meet those needs; and ensuring low income and unemployed New Yorkers have access to viable career opportunities in healthcare.
NYACH’s Partners Council consists of trade associations and industry groups representing the major subsectors of healthcare, the 1199SEIU Training and Employment Funds, and the City University of New York (CUNY). NYACH works with its Partners Council, healthcare institutions, industry groups, City government agencies, education institutions, funders, and community-based organizations to advance its mission.
We are seeking an experienced senior professional to lead the City’s strategy and investments for the healthcare industry partnership, NYACH. The Executive Director of NYACH is a public facing role, with responsibility for fulfilling the Mayor’s vision of workforce development in the healthcare sector. S/he will work closely with the Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development to ensure the city’s $500 million investment in workforce development is informed by and meets the needs of industry. S/he will be responsible for liaising with employers, associations and trade groups, training and education providers, and workforce partners to build a sustainable and robust pipeline of local talent to fill New York City’s healthcare jobs.
The Executive Director will lead NYACH’s key strategies of:
- Enhancing public post-secondary education to serve a go-to source for healthcare workforce talent
- Supporting healthcare employers in playing an integral role in the system of building and sustaining talent, across high and low wage occupations
- Promoting a greater diversity of New Yorkers to have access to employment in healthcare, ensuring that the healthcare workforce reflects the diversity of the patient population
The ideal candidate has proven experience in the healthcare industry, in building constituencies, and a demonstrated passion for NYACH’s mission.
- Lead the development of the City's strategy for investing in healthcare training, work-based learning/apprenticeships, and other projects that foster workforce development in the healthcare sector in New York City
- Lead NYACH’s Partner Council and employer subcommittees to understand hiring/talent needs, particularly with New York State’s Medicaid Redesign and delivery system transformation, and determine the most appropriate vehicle for meeting them with NYC residents
- Develop and support strategies that create a strong healthcare workforce pipeline, particularly with young adults and foreign-born New Yorkers
- Develop and promote innovative strategies that improve job quality and career advancement for the City’s frontline healthcare workforce
- Serve as a source of information and assistance to employers, workforce development organizations, and community partners with respect to the healthcare sector in New York City and related development, education, training, and employment activities
- Represent the City of New York in meetings/events/presentations with partners and other stakeholders
- Direct and supervise a team of 2-4 staff
- Work closely with Mayor’s Office of Workforce Development and other City Agencies to direct the City’s investments in workforce development in the healthcare sector.
- Senior level professional with 8 plus years of experience in the healthcare sector.
- Extensive knowledge of the healthcare industry with established network of contacts.
- A strong understanding of healthcare reform at the Federal and State level, and the various subsectors within healthcare (inpatient, outpatient/ambulatory, and long-term care)
- Knowledge of workforce development, adult learning best practices, and skills training.
- Excellent analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders and collaborative groups
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, including formal presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively and confidently present to leadership level staff.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously and prioritizing projects to meet deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial and collaborative style that works well in teams.
- Knowledge of the NYC labor market and healthcare occupations.
- Experience in managing staff
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and 8 years of full-time paid experience, at least 2 years of which must have been in a managerial capacity
- A master’s degree in public policy, public administration, public health, or a related field
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required