Commissioner, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Job posted by NYS Center for Recruitment and Public Service
DEC’s mission is “to conserve, improve and protect New York's natural resources and environment and to prevent, abate and control water, land and air pollution, in order to enhance the health, safety and welfare of the people of the state and their overall economic and social well-being." DEC achieves this mission through the simultaneous pursuit of environmental quality, public health, economic prosperity and social well-being, including environmental justice and the empowerment of individuals to participate in environmental decisions that affect their lives.
DEC is headed by a commissioner, who is assisted by executive managers. The department has 24 divisions and offices and is further organized into bureaus to fulfill the functions and regulations established by state laws and regulations. Some programs are also governed by federal law.
The commissioner leads an agency of nearly 3,000 professionals and oversees programs that promote a clean, healthy and accessible environment, including: protecting and restoring New York's air, lands and waters; combatting climate change; regulating energy generation and promoting clean energy; enforcing state environmental laws and regulations; responding to natural and man-made disasters; managing the state’s natural resources; and supporting world-class outdoor recreation on state lands and waters, including hunting, fishing, hiking and boating.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide vision and leadership on all aspects of the state’s environment;
· Ensure that New York State remains at the forefront of environmental leadership nationally and globally;
· Engage in strategic planning and budgeting to ensure agency continues to fulfill its mission and vision;
· Manage all day to day operations of the agency;
· Engage with advocates and other stakeholders to discuss relevant agency policies and regulations;
· Advocate on behalf of agency concerns with other stakeholders; and
· Interact with the Executive Chamber, elected officials and others on behalf of the agency.
· Graduate degree preferred
· 15+ years of relevant work experience in the environmental field
· Experience managing large and complex organizations
· Demonstrated commitment to public service
· Broad experience in creating strategic planning and execution
New York State is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Generous NYS benefits and retirement package.
Minimum Education Required