Details at a Glance
Established in 1853, the University of Melbourne is a public-spirited institution that seeks people to make distinctive contributions to society in research, learning and teaching and engagement. It’s consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, placed number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world.
With annual average tuition under US$30,000, the University provides affordable access to excellence. US student loans and veteran benefits can be used at UniMelb. International students can work in Australia for at least two years after graduation.
At the University of Melbourne, you’ll gain an internationally recognized degree that will open doors to an outstanding future. The University ranks 7th in the world for graduate employability.
Study in the heart of Melbourne, consistently voted one of the most livable cities in the world. It’s a vibrant, multicultural hub renowned for its food, sport and cultural scene and a gateway to Australia’s distinctive natural beauty.
The University offers graduate coursework degrees in the following schools and disciplines:
- Faculty of Arts Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences (Art History and Management, Communication, Community Development, Criminology and Criminal Justice, Government Affairs, Interdisciplinary Studies, International Relations, Journalism, Linguistics, Political Science, Public Administration, Public Affairs, Public Policy, Social Sciences, Publishing) http://graduate.arts.unimelb.edu.au/
- Faculty of Business and Economics (Business, Economics, Management, MBA) https://fbe.unimelb.edu.au/#study
- Faculty of Fine Art and Music (Digital and Electronic Art, Music, Performing Arts, Visual Art) https://finearts-music.unimelb.edu.au/
- Faculty of Science (Biology, Computer Science, Earth Sciences, Environment & Sustainability, Interdisciplinary Studies, Math and Statistics, Medical Sciences, Psychology) https://science.unimelb.edu.au/#study
- Melbourne Graduate School of Education (Education, Teaching, Psychology) https://education.unimelb.edu.au/]
- Melbourne Law School (JD, LLM, Professional Studies) https://law.unimelb.edu.au/
- Melbourne School of Design (Architecture and Planning, Design, Professional Studies, Urban Planning) https://msd.unimelb.edu.au/
- Melbourne School of Engineering (Computer Science, Engineering, Professional Studies, Sustainability) https://eng.unimelb.edu.au/study
- Melbourne School of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (Clinical Health, Counseling, Human Development, Medical Sciences, Physiotherapy, Professional Studies, Public Health, Optometry, Social Work, Speech Language, Therapy) https://mdhs.unimelb.edu.au/
- Veterinary Medicine https://fvas.unimelb.edu.au/
The University is a research-intensive institution with strong industry links. We’re looking for people to change the world through research. Find out more about graduate research at https://study.unimelb.edu.au/study-with-us/our-degrees/graduate-research
Because most graduate degrees are based solely on undergraduate academic achievement, applicants to the University of Melbourne tend to be self-selecting and accounts for a high acceptance rate.
The Australian academic year follows the calendar year and affects application deadlines.
Semester 1: Feb - June; application deadline late October the prior year
Semester 2: Aug - Nov; application deadline by end of April
Some professional programs in health have application deadlines in June or July for commencement in February the following year.
Most degrees allow for commencement in either semester. Some professional courses in Law and Health commence only at the start of the calendar year.
Clubs & Associations
The University of Melbourne offers college athletes to play at a semi-professional level as a graduate student. Sports enthusiasts at all levels can also engage in many sports. https://sport.unimelb.edu.au
A vast number of social and academic clubs and societies are an integral part of the UniMelb student experience. https://umsu.unimelb.edu.au/getinvolved/clubs/